Proprietary Software License Sample?

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 11 months ago
Hi, Is there any software license sample I could use for my software? Or should I get a lawyer to write one up? Thanks
Advertisement
Getting a lawyer to draft you one based on what you want in it is the safest bet. As a professional, a lawyer will take care of the license/contract abiding by all pertinent laws and regulations.
Quote:Original post by Nick123
Is there any software license sample I could use

Yes, lots. Just look at any software package. I assume you're talking about EULA's.
But yeah, a lawyer should take that as a starting point only, and modify it according to your particular wishes and needs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
Is there any software license sample I could use

Yes, lots. Just look at any software package. I assume you're talking about EULA's.
But yeah, a lawyer should take that as a starting point only, and modify it according to your particular wishes and needs.

Is it okay to rewrite the license of other software packages?
Technically they still fall under copyright. But the provisions they contain are mostly very similar, so you should be able to get away with some creative borrowing. Just make sure that you really understand what you're writing - not always easy with legalese. I'd be careful when adopting any jurisdiction / arbitration clauses, too.

On the other hand, "if you can't afford a lawyer, you can't afford to be in this business" is a phrase that comes up pretty often around here. So at least get a lawyer to look over what you came up with.
Is it okay to rewrite the license of other software packages?

Yes.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement