Do i look hierable? (art)

Started by
13 comments, last by Konidias 14 years, 11 months ago
Well i'm still slowly but surely building my portfolio to get into the career of videogame developing. http://monkeytv.deviantart.com My first time ever coloring anything (still working on it) > http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/684/newbitmapimagegxw.png Just about ready to graduate from Highschool hoping for the best ): All of your opinions would help me greatly, Thanks.
Advertisement
Yes you are very hire-able.

What scares me is your skill in a few years.... :)
No... I'll be brief. 1) your trying to get a job coming out of high school? 2) Your pictures aren't related to anything with games. 3) Your stuff is just not of a high enough quality. Stick around Deviantart and look at what other people are doing. Either push yourself to want to improve a lot, or don't pursue it as a full-time job. What I'm saying is that you have a ways to go, but if you want it, just keep at it.

This guy recently just got into games like a year ago for concept drawing.
http://flyingdebris.deviantart.com/

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

I guess you are going for 2d arts and concept art (character) design? For a beginner you are doing ok, maybe in a few year of college with correct direction of learning will make you more worthy in game developing. You might as well keep going if you have the motivation and join a mod for free and get some work done. Good luck with your work.
Quote:Original post by dpadam450
2) Your pictures aren't related to anything with games.

What? Do all game-related pictures look in a certain way? Or do they portray the same thing?

Quote:Original post by dpadam450
No... I'll be brief. 1) your trying to get a job coming out of high school?
Very difficult to say. If you're the kind of person who can take on mature amounts of responsibility an employer won't care. Nevertheless a few years in college would put you in an even better position.
Quote:2) Your pictures aren't related to anything with games.
Wrong. Your characters need more tuning but with practice they would definitely work for concepting games.
Quote:3) Your stuff is just not of a high enough quality.
That depends on the employer and the project. Maybe you shouldn't go for paid work right away. Aim for smaller projects and try to get some professional experience. Remember that game projects come in all sizes and budgets. If your portfolio includes some actual game work you're much more likely to get a contract, even if the project was small and you were unpaid.

Make your ambition meet your skill level and there's nothing stopping you. Good luck.
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker
I would have to agree with staaf on points 1 and 3 -- right out of high-school you're very unlikely to get any sort of job in terms of game concepting especially considering that you have very little experience with game concepts and even coloring your concepts. While college may not necessarily be what you need (college isn't for everyone -- I never went to college for instance but then I'm a Chef not a professional game developer... :) ).

As for point 3, your best bet is to draw, draw, draw, draw and draw. The more you draw the better. Big things, little things, weird things, down-to-earth things. Anything and everything. If that's what you want to do than you'll need to get in more practive and have a larger portfolio if you want to find a job as a game concept artist.

To that end, agreed once again with point 3 -- your best bet right now is to join one (I would recommend several over time) free projects. Assuming the projects are being run properly (e.g., no grandiose ideas of hitting it big on the first try) you'll gain some experience in working with a group consisting of several parties all workign together to produce a finished product. You'll also have a larger portfolio to show for yourself.

All that said, I wish you good luck!

-Lead developer for OutpostHD

http://www.lairworks.com

As long as it didn't take you more than ten or fifteen minutes to draw anything in your portfolio, your skill level is probably alright. You should try to demonstrate that you can do more invested pieces as well, though.

Remember, there are two kinds of concept art:

-actual concept art; that which only demonstrates the concept in itself, and is not usually well drawn or coloured (sketchy, and often accompanied by a diagram and explanations)

-production concept art- this is the fancy stuff you actually get to see.

The later, with what you've shown, you won't be able to get into. That's stuff like what dpadam450 linked to. You'll need quite a bit of practice.

The former, you probably have enough drawing skill for, but you don't really have any of in your portfolio. You may very well be able to draw original concepts, but everything you have drawn can be traced to an anime. Being a concept artist who roughs out ideas and passes it onto other people requires originality and design as pivotal.

I fancy myself the former, and I have a physics minor and an English minor, with strong emphasis on classical literature accompanied by a personal study in philosophy and mythology. I'm passably familiar with every major field of engineering, and competent in Chemistry, evolutionary biology, geology, and psychology.

I can concept things that jive with mythology and practical real-world science- that's something you get by burying your nose in books and attending lectures for several years in a university and *not* by doodling.

If you want to be the former, you need to go to school. Study science and engineering, and literature and mythology. Then apply that all to your art.

If you want to the the later, you just need to practice- quite a bit- for several years. Learn Photoshop or Gimp, and painter or an equivalent program like the back of your hand.

Make very high quality work- and you'll be snatched up relatively quickly based on a good portfolio.

The latter is definitely easier- and there are the most openings for it. I still have to sell myself now and then by explaining why having a unique, coherent, and consistent game-world that is complimentary to science and assists in suspension of disbelief is fundamentally better than having a random combination of unoriginal and cliche things that don't make any sense.
If you wanted an opportunity to try your hand at concept art for a real game project, we could carve out a role for you on the Quake2World team.

Previous Help Wanted thread viewable here:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=524252
Project LeadQ u a k e 2 W o r l dhttp://quake2world.net
Ok, your work isn't bad at all. However your askng if your hire-able, and my response without out doubt would have to be No, not for a real game-development job. However, for MODs, or teams making indie games, then yes.

Your work is good, however most game industrys need people who can either draw amazingly well in photoshop, like they type of speed paints you see and concepts for Unreal enviroments. Pretty much your skill level is good, but to get a real game industry job you would need a higher skillset in a bit of a different genre of drawing. Also they usually tend to hire people who do 3D and Drawing. Id say keep at it, and if you have the cash, get a Wacom tablet. Its a must. One of the best investments ive ever made.

Lots of your drawings are completely un-relevant to the game industry, except some of them really stick out to me. That Test Armors drawing on your deviant art page has some nice stuff on there, if you traced armors D, C, or F. Into photoshop. Refined the lines, and colored it, maybe whip in a quick enviroment I think you would really have a winner of a concept.

Dont give up. But I urge you get a Wacom tablet, they start from as low as $100. I bought mine in grade 11, and it really motivates you to learn more and it makes drawing on the computer (via Photoshop/Painter much easier) and its also usefull for 3D apps such as Zbrush, Mudbox, Modo and much more. And its also sometimes fun to use it instead of the mouse, easier on your hand. Also you can customize the hotkeys on the tablet.

I also agree with the posts above, draw, draw, draw, draw. You would be much better off having 1 amazing piece than 10 mediocre pieces.

That link above is a example of some stunning game concept art for Rage in development down at ID Software. Of course no one expects you to have that type of skills right off the bat. Im sure that concept art there was done by a senior game artist. However its a good example of game art, neat, interesting, and a matching color pallete, try to tell a story in your art works, and develop a mood.

Another thing is to study concept art, its seems so overwhelming when you look at a image like that one above, but take a closer look. Its really not that complex its just the way most concept art and art is made, its a bunch of geometrical shapes that trick your mind into looking like what it is. Draw lines, not a image.

Like in that image birds are just black v type line in the sky, the Wind generator fan things in the air dont even have the fins attached, yet it looks good. Be flexible and chill, and sketch, dont worry so much about the final image, worry about the concept, get your idea down, and then you can polish it till you feel its good.

Ugh sorry for the long post and I hope this helps. = ) Good Luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement