• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Decrius

[C++] Cast to a class without knowing it's template?

This topic is 3503 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a heterogeneous array of non-templated class Base, I then have a templated class Derived, it holds variables of type T. I then have a function which walks the array. Through a boolean in the Base class I know I can cast the array element to Derived, I only use other variables in Derived, not variables of type T. I am not able, as function caller, to pass which type T is. So is there something so I don't have to care about what T is? Or can I simply cast it as Derived<void> *array_element = array[element]; or something? Thanks PS: in fact, the variable in Derived is a member function pointer as (T::*member_function)()

Advertisement
Could you use a virtual function defined in Base to delegate to Derived, which then of course knows its own T?

Quote:
Original post by ApochPiQ
Could you use a virtual function defined in Base to delegate to Derived, which then of course knows its own T?

Hmm, how precisely do you have this in mind? I can't somehow return the type T. Or do you mean to do the processing inside the delegated function, instead from an outsiders function (which doesn't knows T)?

Can't I just assign any type? It doesn't matter, I'm not going to use it, but the fact it's used by a member function pointer makes me uncertain...

Quote:
Original post by Decrius
I have a heterogeneous array of non-templated class Base, I then have a templated class Derived, it holds variables of type T. I then have a function which walks the array. Through a boolean in the Base class I know I can cast the array element to Derived, I only use other variables in Derived, not variables of type T.

I am not able, as function caller, to pass which type T is. So is there something so I don't have to care about what T is? Or can I simply cast it as Derived<void> *array_element = array[element]; or something?

Thanks

PS: in fact, the variable in Derived is a member function pointer as (T::*member_function)()

So let me see if I have this straight. You have something like

struct Base {
bool is_derived;
Base(bool is_derived = false): is_derived(is_derived) {}
};

template <typename T>
struct Derived<T>: Base {
void (T::*func)();
Derived(void (T::*func)()): func(func), Base(true) {}
};

std::vector<Base*> function_wrappers;

for (
std::vector<Base*>::iterator it = function_wrappers.begin(),
end = function_wrappers.end(); it != end; ++it
) {
// You want to extract the Derived instance and invoke its member function
// upon a T, without knowing what type T is?
}

The flag isn't helping you here. Use polymorphism, and have some way of supplying the T to invoke upon - the obvious way would be to hold it in the Derived instance (or just hold a weak pointer, if you want to "share" an existing instance).

struct Base {
virtual void operator()() = 0;
virtual ~Base() {}
};

template <typename T>
void (T::*func)();
T* target;
Derived(void (T::*func)(), const T& target): func(func), target(&target) {}
void operator()() { (target.->func)(); }
};

for (
) {
(*it)();
}

That's what ApochPiQ is telling you. :)

Almost Zahlman, I think it would be best represented as this:

struct Base {

virtual bool match(void *pointer) = 0;

virtual ~Base() {}

};

template <typename T, typename M, typename P>

void (M::*func)(P *);

T* target;

Derived(void (M::*func)(P *), const T& target): func(func), target(&target) {}

bool match(void *pointer) { return (target == pointer); }

};

template <typename T>
void some_function(T *pointer)
{
for (

) {

if ((*it).match(pointer)) // I don't care about M and P
{

}
}
}

I'm unsure if I should make a distinct between T and M, but I thought this would be handy due to inheritance (the longer I think of it, the more I think M could be T).

Second, can I not just cast to a void pointer? Like in my example? Would make it easy :P

Thanks

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!