• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dragon_Lance

Text Based Game Code has 45 Errors in VC++

This topic is 3499 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

#include <iostream> #include <windows.h> #include <string> using namespace std; // ===ints=== int gold = 100; int lvl; int strength; int agility; int intelligence; int HP; int MP; int ItemID[]; int MonsterID[]; int attack; int defense; int Maxlvl = 99; // ===floats=== float XP; //===strings=== string MonsterName[]; string ItemName[]; const string GameName = "Templar Knights"; string Options; //===bool=== bool GameStartMenu = true; bool MainGame = false; // Seting up WaitSec() inline void WaitSec(int seconds) { Sleep(seconds * 1000); } int main () { WaitSec(1); cout << "_-*^*-_Welcome to " << GameName << "_-*^*-_"; WaitSec(3); cout << "\n\nChoose One of the following options:\n\n"; WaitSec(2); cout << "New Game\nExit\n\n"; cin << Options; if (Options == "New Game"){ cout << "Loading..."; GameStartMenu = false; } if (Options == "Exit"){ return 0; } if (Options != "New Game" && Options != "Exit"){ cout << "Please Enter only New Game or Exit"; return 0; } return 0; } This code is showing 45 errors when it tries to compile in VC++. Its not done by a long shot and its very insufficient, I know. If anyone can tell me whats gone wrong and explain it to me so I don't mess up this dramatically again it would be appreciated.

Advertisement
1. wrap your code in [ source ] and [ /source ] tags (take out the spaces).
2. when posting about errors it's good to post at least the first 2-3 errors.
3. i hope very much that you're using a book to help you learn c/c++?

4. off the top of my head the things i notice are you're making some arrays of undefined size - c++ can't do this with statically allocated data. you probably want a std::vector<std::string> or std::vector<std::int>
int ItemID[];
int MonsterID[];
or if you know their sizes int ItemID[size];

your std::cin line cin << Options; should be cin >> Options;

not sure if i see anything else, but i really very strongly suggest you get a book to teach you c++ (like C++ Primer or C++ Primer Plus (my favorite)).

good luck

I've also noticed that you have variables declared but not set. You should make it a practice to set everything you declare, even to 0.

For example:

int lvl;

To:

int lvl = 0;

The reason you should make this a habit is due to pointers. You don't want pointers sitting around without being pointed to something or being NULL.

Practice writing less code at a time. Only add a variable for "strength", for example, when you are ready to write the code that will use it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!