• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dantif3r001

Where could HTML and JavaScript get me?

This topic is 3503 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im pretty advanced when it comes to HTML, and know some javascript (and am currently studying it). So I wanna know where this will get me? Will it help me make my game im planning on making? Will it help me better learn PHP? or is it a waste of time? thanx

Advertisement
You can't make games with plain HTML*, as it's just a mark-up language (meaning it's not an actual programming language). You can, however, make some games with HTML + javascript. They'll be simple-ish games, but games nonetheless. It depends on what kind of game you want to make. As far as helping you learn PHP, javascript and PHP are not the same, but there are programming concepts you can learn in one and apply in the other. This is true of most, if not all, programming languages.

*Well, I guess you could make some types of games. You could make mystery games or puzzle like games where the user has to solve something and click the hidden link/type in the hidden URL to advance to the next round (which would just be another HTML page you'd have to make). There is one in particular that I'm thinking of but can't seem to remember the name.

You can certainly make a full game with HTML and javascript. You wouldn't be programming with the HTML (it's not a programming language), but rather, using javascript to create (and modify existing) HTML. Depending on the kind of game you want to make, it's often even an ideal way to go about it. (This is suited for games that have the kind of "look and feel" that you normally see in simple Flash games, but typically with less emphasis on action - you can't easily work with movie clips or vector graphics.)

javascript won't help you learn PHP very much, although every language helps a little bit with every other language - as it gives you another chance to refine your ability to "think like a programmer". If you do learn PHP, it may work well in combination with the other two. For example, you could do something with client-server interaction, where the server scripts are done in PHP. The javascript creates an HTML page with a form on it, and submitting the form sends a CGI request to your PHP script, e.g. to submit a score for the high score list.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!