• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Bearrick92

Coding a 2D mmorpg

This topic is 3413 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok well me and my friends wanted to make a 2D isometric MMORPG. But i'm wondering, would we be able to code it using BASIC and make it so we can have features such as mining wood cutting fishing and so on. i wanna know if we can do this just as good as someone could do using C++

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Bearrick92

i wanna know if we can do this just as good as someone could do using C++

Yes, it's possible to do that. ActionScript (Flash) is also popular for this. But language itself will make no major difference.

I suggest that if you have little programmign experience you use something like flash. It is by far the easiest language to pick up and make a game for (The entire language is object/graphic oriented).

It is also already designed for network play. Even in c++ in order to do graphics and networking well, you need to include winsock and (there are a few alternatives, but...) directX.

Flash is also a good stepping stone to general object oriented programming, and the later releases are getting to be very powerful (shader support and the like).

you could, language is largely irrelevant, especially when your not pushing the hardware. however, i think its pretty safe to assume that you dont really have the required experience and know-how to write a full blown MMO.

a good place to start would be to write a MUD, this will teach you the basics of servers, and multiple clients. from there you can add a isometric engine, and what not. MUD's are well documented, and there is source available for quite a few. you will learn a lot by porting one from c++ to basic for example.

random cliche of the day, dont shoot for the moon when your slingshot has trouble hitting the tree across the yard.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!