• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dreamscapes

Very new

This topic is 3494 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I hope im posting in the right forum. Ill start by saying that i know NOTHING about programming,ive tried to do very simple stuff with java and bought Beginner Programming for Dummies and the concept is lost on me. Im 26 years old,married and switching careers.Im an avid PC gamer,ive played well over 30 MMOs including all the big names and some of the f2p ones just to get some ideas on conceptual design and whatnot.anyhow ive always wanted to design/create games so ive looked into the field for a few years and decided to take the plunge. In the fall ill be attending the local community college and im still unsure of exactly what classes to take.Also ive got every intention of continuing on to a bachelors degree and then masters degree.i know thats going to take alot of hard work and quite a few years,but when i go all out i really go all out :) Anywho,from reading,perusing,general browsing and following my own personal interest ive developed a want/need to jump into Graphics/Special Effects Programmer BUT i can draw for beans.it just seems to me that the thing that facinates is starting with a picture and recreating it in 2d/3d would be so fulfilling.. well im rambling,i guess what im asking is if i want to get into the aforementioned field then what classes should i start with in a 2 year program to get into the correct 4 year.CS is a very broad field of study so it seems. Also i looked into Digipen in washington but it doesnt look like they give any in depth teaching.can someone give me some insight into that? Thank you in advance for any replies :)

Advertisement
As far as which classes to take, that's pretty much dependant on your ciriculum/school. If you're lucky they'll let you take them out of order or test out of the ones you've already mastered. Such as drawing, or was that a typo?

Otherwise you're pretty much just going to have to follow along and just do homework. It's silly imo, i never last long.

I'm pretty sure Digipen will be a better game programming school than the one your attending, for what it's worth. I know at least 10 people who graduated there and are all in nice paying game jobs. Most of them are "worth a shit."

So my recommendation would be to go to Digipen, and or do a ton of side learning and or do not go to your community college program. In that order.

thank for your reply,the drawing was a typo as i CANT draw for beans and the reason i decided to go to my community college first was because i only have my GED.
the CC offers 2D DESIGN,GRAPHIC DESIGN I,COMPUTER PROGRAMMING I and INTRO COMPUTING CONCEPTS(not sure what that one involves but it sounds nice on paper)

so after completing the 2 years i should apply for a transfer to digipen?

Ive read alot of negative comments about going to schools with a game design program,but it looks like alot of fun.and along with that ive read many times in the last few years how the gaming industry is the worst field to get into for programming but how can that be when games and the idea of creating something as such is just so danged appealing.

needless to say my fervor hasnt waned in that respect.i know it will be long hours,weekends etc.but i do that now and get paid just enough to say i have a job.

A few points to make.

People say that it's a bad field of programming to get into because getting a job within the industry is difficult. I say that because there are millions of people who WANT the jobs, and only so many jobs. It is also about the lowest paying programming job you will get.

As for your Intro to Computing Concepts, it will probably just teach you how to use a computer. I'm serious. From using Microsoft Office, to using Windows XP/Vista effectively, maybe even some MacOS or Linux if you are really lucky (most schools only teach about Microsoft). Pretty much, if you've been using a computer since back in the Windows 3.1 or Dos days like most of us, you should be able to test out of it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!