• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DesignerWatts

Greetings, seeking feedback on my design portfolio

This topic is 3412 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings, I'm currently compiling my design work into an online portfolio. And I was hoping that I could draw from the experience and knowledge of other developers to provide some feedback on the portfolio before I start to send this out to studios. It's a 4-part portfolio. My intention is to cover the core bases of introduction, a well-written resume, provided work samples and a brief Q&A at the end of it. I'll be applying for positions of level designer and gameplay designer. So if anyone has any feedback or advice based on how to make this portfolio stronger that would be fantastic. The portfolio can be found here: Chris Watts Design Portfolio Thanks for your time, :) Chris Watts

Advertisement
There is some good content here.

The first things I noticed, however, were a few obvious grammatical errors - mostly things like there/their/they're, your/you're, pluralisation and a couple of typos (eg. page 2 - ether/either).

The presentation is fairly engaging, if informal and non-traditional.

Re:

Hi, I have a comment about the logo. The color of the logo is pretty irritating if you happen to not see it as a flower. To be precise, it looks like a face with blue spiky hair wearing orange sunglasses. When you see it like that, you see that the style of that logo does not match the art-style of your previous game or the Tower City game.

When someone reads your site and is greeted by a pair of agressive eyes hidden behind a pair of sunglasses, it does not give a very welcoming feeling to the reader. Your logo is staring at the viewer in an offensive manner.

In general, you don't want to make the viewer view your website while subconsciously becomeing antagonistic.

For instance, when I view your site, I collectively get the impression that you are a pretty difficult person to work with or to work under. The reason is that the first "face" that I saw was that sun-glasses masked face, so the greeting message sounds insincere, not really natural. If you want to change the tone of the greeting message you could perhaps include an actual photo of yourself so that the viewer understand the actual face instead of associating you with that mask.

You could also change that by changing the coloring so that the "eye" petals at least do not have hot colors. You could keep the underlying aggressiveness of the logo if the rest of the site has a cocky/hip feel to it, but since the coloring is soft, at the moment it only looks conspicuous.

If you want it to look hip it could have been beter in a different color scheme. If you were to make another logo, you could check, or possibly let someone else check whether the logo looks like certain things that you do not intend for them to resemble. Designs that look like eyes are probably the second worst type of offenders. The first type offenders are probably easier to recognize.

The logo is the hardest thing to change because naturally you feel identified with it. It is not too important and you don't need to reply to this post.

Thanks for your feedback. Taking this on-board I'm currently doing another read through it to pick up the grammatical mistakes.

Thanks!

Quote:
Original post by WavyVirus
There is some good content here.

The first things I noticed, however, were a few obvious grammatical errors - mostly things like there/their/they're, your/you're, pluralisation and a couple of typos (eg. page 2 - ether/either).

The presentation is fairly engaging, if informal and non-traditional.

Thanks for your feedback Wai.

You make a good point with both the corner logo and the cover letter picture. I'll update the corner screen logo to represent the 'shield' logo and I think putting an actual photo of me under the cover letter is a good idea.

*Dusts his old camera off*

Thanks!

Quote:
Original post by Wai
Re:

Hi, I have a comment about the logo. The color of the logo is pretty irritating if you happen to not see it as a flower. To be precise, it looks like a face with blue spiky hair wearing orange sunglasses. When you see it like that, you see that the style of that logo does not match the art-style of your previous game or the Tower City game.

When someone reads your site and is greeted by a pair of agressive eyes hidden behind a pair of sunglasses, it does not give a very welcoming feeling to the reader. Your logo is staring at the viewer in an offensive manner.

In general, you don't want to make the viewer view your website while subconsciously becomeing antagonistic.

For instance, when I view your site, I collectively get the impression that you are a pretty difficult person to work with or to work under. The reason is that the first "face" that I saw was that sun-glasses masked face, so the greeting message sounds insincere, not really natural. If you want to change the tone of the greeting message you could perhaps include an actual photo of yourself so that the viewer understand the actual face instead of associating you with that mask.

You could also change that by changing the coloring so that the "eye" petals at least do not have hot colors. You could keep the underlying aggressiveness of the logo if the rest of the site has a cocky/hip feel to it, but since the coloring is soft, at the moment it only looks conspicuous.

If you want it to look hip it could have been beter in a different color scheme. If you were to make another logo, you could check, or possibly let someone else check whether the logo looks like certain things that you do not intend for them to resemble. Designs that look like eyes are probably the second worst type of offenders. The first type offenders are probably easier to recognize.

The logo is the hardest thing to change because naturally you feel identified with it. It is not too important and you don't need to reply to this post.

I focused on your Tower game concept near the bottom of the page there is also a picture graphic that reads "Frist Person Shooter" not sure if that was intentional or not but it could be something to look at.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!