• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sheep19

std::map error

This topic is 3499 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. This is valid in std::map:
std::map <int, int> m;
m[1] = 1000;

The type is: map<string, boost::weak_ptr<Animation> > /*typedef boost::weak_ptr<Animation> registry_entry_type; typedef std::map <std::string, registry_entry_type> registry_type; registry_type _AnimationMap;*/
_AnimationMap[category] = boost::weak_ptr <Animation> ( new Animation() );

I get: error C2440: '<function-style-cast>' : cannot convert from 'Min::Animation *' to 'boost::weak_ptr<T>' 1> with 1> [ 1> T=Min::Animation 1> ] 1> No constructor could take the source type, or constructor overload resolution was ambiguous

Advertisement
weak_ptr documentation states that you can construct weak_ptr object only from shared_ptr object (and of course from another weak_ptr with copy constructor). But not from T*.

I don't think you can have a weak_ptr handle a raw pointer.
Read the boost docs here

It says : "The weak_ptr class template stores a "weak reference" to an object that's already managed by a shared_ptr."
Edit: Too slow [looksaround]

This has nothing to do with std::map. The problem is that you are trying to cate a weak pointer from a naked pointer, which is impossible. You can only create a weak pointer from a shared pointer.

Well, stop and think carefully about what the pointer semantics are.

shared_ptr means "I am taking part in keeping the pointed-at object alive". As long as anyone has a shared_ptr to the object, it won't be deleted.

weak_ptr means "I am not accepting any responsibility for the lifetime of this object; I only want to be able to get at it while it's alive". You can't have *everyone* hold a weak_ptr because then there is no way to decide when the object should die. That's why you can't make a weak_ptr to the newly allocated object: it's too easy to end up without a shared_ptr.

Quote:
Original post by Zahlman
You can't have *everyone* hold a weak_ptr because then there is no way to decide when the object should die.
It would make sense to destroy the object as soon as a weak pointer is created from it—although that would be pretty useless and error-prone.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!