• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
slanker70

Best file format using SDL_mixer

This topic is 3322 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was just wondering what is most common file format that is used in cross-platform (Windows, Linux, and OSX) game developing and why? At the momment I'm using SDL_mixer for all audio purposes in my cross-platform game engine, and since it supports Microsoft WAVE files,Creative Labs VOC files as audio samples, MIDI files via Timidity, .MOD .S3M .IT .XM. via MikMod, Ogg Vorbis streams as music if built with the Ogg Vorbis libraries, and MP3 using the SMPEG library. To be honest I'm not very familiar with audio programming hence I'm using SDL_mixer since I'm using SDL for windowing and input :p From all the file format that SDL_mixer is able to load, MP3 and WAVE files are probably the only format that I'm familiar with although I've heard of MIDI before but that's about it. Please help, Dana

Advertisement
Ogg Vorbis.

The .ogg format is often preferred over .mp3 by game developers (especially hobbyists and indie developers) because it is unencumbered by patents. It is often used for music in games, and sometimes for sound effects as well.

I'd say it's fairly common for games to use .ogg for music, and .ogg or .wav for sounds.

Hi,

So how can I create a .ogg file exactly? Also do you know any sound and audio libary sites for games, preferably free :P

Thanks,

Dana

Use oggenc.

Another good reason for Vorbis is that it has a different, more human-friendly noise profile - when the bitrate gets way too low (I'm talking 30 kbit/s or less), you're not gonna hear metallic rattling like with an mpeg3, instead you'll notice a gradual drop in quality, starting with higher frequencies (like blurring, but with sound). This is good news if you really want to squeeze your orchestral soundtrack into a game for an embedded platform or something.

You can probably find lots of utilities for transcoding into the ogg format. A Google search for "mp3 to ogg" or "wav to ogg" would be a good start.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!