[ NV023 (Image) ]
Bunny's options:
1) Pick one: [ Spawn | Place | Rotate | Wait ]
2) Pick one: [ Move | Expose | Stay ]

[Edited by - Wai on May 22, 2009 1:17:42 AM]

Xelen    312
Place left bunny tile at H4.
Spawn a bunny.

If you don't mind me throwing in a move or two. If you do that's cool, just let me know and I'll delete my post :)

Edit in response to below: Oops sorry, when I was reading I organized spawn and stay backwards in my head... That'll work :)

Wai    1007
Re: Xelen

This is totally fine to have more participants. However, in the current rules you cannot place a tile and spawn a bunny during the same turn. So this time I will only place the tile.

Day 10 Star

[ NV024 (Image) ]

Star's options:

[Edited by - Wai on May 22, 2009 1:41:49 AM]

Xelen    312
Question, can you rotate tiles with a virus token currently on them? If so that would be pretty sweet move for Star to connect paths.

theOcelot    498
Is anyone else having a problem where they can't see the pictures? It looks like the server they are hosted on is cutting out periodically.

edit: woops, they're back again.

Wai    1007
Re: Rotation:

Yes, you can rotate a tile while the virus is on it.

Re: Server:

It happens! (It seems like it happens every day sometime, that the server will be down)

Comment:

When you look at the grid, do some of the hex stand out to you? For me, H7 is standing-out really bright because my brain just wants to believe that there is a path connecting G7 and H6.

I also noticed that this game takes a lot of brain power to play, even on the board-less deathmatch configuration. It seems that when I look at the tiles, my brain simply cannot hold all the information, so it involves looking at the same sets over and over, repeating the consideration.

When I play myself I just place the tiles randomly until there is immediate danger. If there is no immediate danger, I just place it wherever that fits. I do not attempt to imagine the optimal move. It takes too much thought.

theOcelot    498
If Star or bunny wanted to be mean, they could put the public tile at E2. But I think there's something about the strategy that I'm not getting. I think that the best strategy is to get a couple independent networks set up. In that interest:

Star Command:
Rotate E6 1xCW. Stay.

The two satellite dish hosts are connected, right? Does the actual satellite come into that relationship?

Tangireon    239
From my understanding of it, the satellites and dishes are like portals. As well as that, the only other way to enter into a landmark is by connecting to one of its opening sides with a path (for example, the Bunny Homeputer can only be entered through the south path).

Some strategies I am discovering so far in my play of this game:

- To minimize the damage an opponent can do to you through their placement-blocks, is to set yourself up with several different pathways to get to your desired destination.

- Having a "train-track" loop that you control through a pathway "switch" tile gives you the upper hand - while you can leave and enter said loop, enemies cannot.

- You can control a large area of the map simply by creating a series of blocking "fences"; then the enemy can't establish a path through your "territory".

Wai    1007
Re: Satellite

The Satellite is the same as a dish in terms of gameplay rules. It is a satellite just because the world is round so you don't shoot a signal from one dish on land to another.

Re: Why don't we kill 1UP?

I don't think that there is a reason not to help another virus kill of the other virus. I think the logic is for forming quick kill alliances. So Star should probably place the public tile at E2, and Bunny could then finish off 1UP and take the bank.

If you look at it like this, it seems that Star has no reason to help Bunny get a third base (assuming that you believe the nuclear power plant is already Bunny's--just a matter of time.) But on the other hand, if 1UP remains in the game, it makes Star much more vunlerable (1UP would be able to attack star from two tiles away). But similarly, if you are bunny, would you help 1UP kill Star and let 1UP take all of Star's territory?

It sounds like some kind of weird prisoner's dillemma or something.

1UP's command:

Place right tile to E2. Stay.

Day 11 Bunny

[ NV025 (Image) ]

Bunny's options:

[Edited by - Wai on May 22, 2009 1:54:40 AM]

Tangireon    239
Quote:
Original post by Wai
I don't think that there is a reason not to help another virus kill of the other virus. I think the logic is for forming quick kill alliances. So Star should probably place the public tile at E2, and Bunny could then finish off 1UP and take the bank.

Aye, but since I am really curious about what happens when I take a base, and since this map is so huge, I am so far just trying to explore the track-laying and landmark part of the game. Perhaps the map size should be a tad smaller in ratio to the number of players here? It would allow players the time to both explore landmarks as well as set up plans for kills.

Quote:
Original post by Wai
If you look at it like this, it seems that Star has no reason to help Bunny get a third base (assuming that you believe the nuclear power plant is already Bunny's--just a matter of time.) But on the other hand, if 1UP remains in the game, it makes Star much more vunlerable (1UP would be able to attack star from two tiles away). But similarly, if you are bunny, would you help 1UP kill Star and let 1UP take all of Star's territory?

It sounds like some kind of weird prisoner's dillemma or something.

I remember a saying from the box of the ol' original Starcraft game about how your only allies are your enemies, or something close to that. That is probably very much reflected here.

Wai    1007
Day 11 Star

Star's options:

Tangireon    239
I imagine it to be something like Chess, where the player who makes the first move on his/her opponent's piece slays that piece. In this case, I guess we're going to end up making several "checks" in order to corner someone into a "checkmate".

As well as that, I believe you can't kill and take one's base in one turn, is that correct?

Wai    1007
Re: The board is so large

Actually I had not tried on my own what it would be like to play it on a board. I only physically tried the board-less deathmatch. When I setup this board, I was thinking that the board wasn't big enough because when I was doing deathmatch, I needed space to get around the existing tiles to get to the enemy. I didn't know the proper size of a board-ed game and didn't foresee the emphasis on taking landmarks. (My logic was that a player would mainly try to kill the other players.)

Re: How to attack

Yes, it is just like chess. The player that makes the move into the enemy gets to kill the enemy and gets control to whatever tile the enemy network reaches

Day 11 1UP

[ NV027 (Image) ]

1UP's options:

[Edited by - Wai on May 22, 2009 2:28:26 PM]

Xelen    312
By moving the piece into the enemy, or simply just by opening up the route into their network to kill them? What is the point of having multiple pieces, to attack from multiple fronts?

Tangireon    239
This game would definitely be a lot more efficiently played as a table-top or computerized game, so then the player can play around with the tiles to see what rotation config will connect to what pathways. Wai, you are right about the mind-boggling aspect of it - the player needs to interact with the tiles (or at least I do), as I am currently trying to imagine how the tile at E2 would look like when I rotate it, and it is pretty hard to do so. Imagine even more complex tiles - ouch!

Quote:
Original post by Xelen
By moving the piece into the enemy, or simply just by opening up the route into their network to kill them? What is the point of having multiple pieces, to attack from multiple fronts?

They all seem good. Right now, I believe 1UP is in an excellent position to attack either party, because 1UP will have a back virus if its front virus gets attacked (which can also work sort of like "bait" or a "meat shield").

ROTATE E2 CW 1x.
STAY.

Wai    1007
Re: Connection kills

To make a kill, you only need a connection. You don't need to move any token at the moment you kill stuff. The thing you move is a tile. You either rotate a tile, or place a tile. Once the connection is made, the enemies you wish dead would just combust in frames.

There are several reasons to have multiple virus, but the reason that Tangireon just gave was incorrect. If you connect to an enemy network with n virus, you get to kill ALL of them in one shot. In addition, you could attack multiple disjoint networks.

So the move Tangireon just made is insane:

Bunny could kill both of 1UP, but Bunny wouldn't do that.
Star could also kill both of 1UP but Star would not do that either.
1UP could attack also attack, but amazingly, 1UP wouldn't either.

1UP did a suicide move but no one would dare to kill 1UP.

!!!

Day 12 Bunny
[ NV028 (Image) ]

Bunny's options:

[Edited by - Wai on May 22, 2009 2:00:40 PM]

Tangireon    239
LOL, well, it would be great if you posted these rules on your rule page, as I'm just going on guesses and assumptions most of the time here.

I said something should die, right? Well here we go.

ROTATE G1.
MOVE and KILL 1UP.

You could also do a time warp to backtrack before that move I made if you want to extend this game (or, we could do another game).

Xelen    312
Quote:
Original post by Tangireon
LOL, well, it would be great if you posted these rules on your rule page, as I'm just going on guesses and assumptions most of the time here.

I said something should die, right? Well here we go.

ROTATE G1.
MOVE and KILL 1UP.

You could also do a time warp to backtrack before that move I made if you want to extend this game (or, we could do another game).

Well, I didn't think my plan was THAT straight forward obvious, but I guess it was :) I was aiming to do about the same thing, lol.

Edit: Just a suggestion, I think it would make more sense to have numbers come into play. When a networks collide from rotation, at least an equal amount of virus tokens are destroyed for each side involved. Whoever has the number advantage gets to keep whatever is left over. This would make replicating more important, and justify the virus part of the name in my honest opinion. It adds in having to balance between creating tiles, and creating viruses to achieve efficient expansion.

Tangireon    239
Okay, why won't we backtrack then, to 1UP's turn when I posted my suicidal win-for-Star move.

1UP's new move will be:
PLACE Right Tile on F5, Rotate CW 1x.
STAY.

Because a new game would take too long (unless you got a better map, Wai)?

Wai    1007
Day 12: The Inside Story

Bunny saw that 1UP is vulnerable, so it flips a gate and calls 1UP:

Bunny: "Nice to meet you 1UP!
1UP: "AHHH! This is wrong! You shouldn't be here!"
Bunny: "Hmm? Why not?"

** Bunny eats 1UP **
** The second 1UP panicks **
** Bunny eats the second 1UP. **
** Bunny goes /joy **

Bunny sees all the gold coins in the vault and decides to make a golden Bunny dugout. Everything is so shiny, everything is good.

"Knock Knock"

Bunny: "Who's there?"

"Hi, I am Star!"

** Star eats Bunny **
** Happy ending ensures. **

~ Fin ~

Star command:
ROTATE C6 CWx1. BBQ FTW!

Day 12...

Breaking News: Star Virus Takes Over World!

[ NV029 (Image) ]

Comment:

I don't know whether a normal Bunny would play like that since that would be a suicide for the Bunny to attack 1UP. Tangireon played both Bunny and Star to make Star win so that is kind of cheating.

[ Insert a coin to continue ]

[Edited by - Wai on May 22, 2009 2:27:28 PM]

Wai    1007
Re: Why did Bunny die?

I went ahead and finished the game by letting Star rotate C6. Then Star is connected to the satellite, to the dish, which is connected to Bunny (who would be physically sitting at H2 (but had remotely visited and eaten 1UP at the Bank)). Since Star makes a connection to Bunny, Star gets to eat Bunny and that is what it would do.