• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Carthage

Storing attack information

This topic is 3320 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need a list of RPG spells, which I have composed of effects classes. Damage effects, healing effects, status effects, etc. How should I go about storing the information, info like a lightning spell does X + 75 damage, or that the bio spell does 20 damage and poisons? A database? A textfile? In the code itself? Edit:This is in C++

Advertisement
How about an AttackInfo class that stores the attack information and then you push it into a vector.
I think there is no need to store that info to a database/file. Although I don't know what kind of game you are writing, but I think there is no need to store these infos any longer than a single game session.

class AttackInfo {
public:
AttackInfo(std::string msg, Monster *monster, SpellEffect *effect, int dmgAmount);

std::string m_strMsg;
Monster *m_pTargetMonster;
SpellEffect *m_pUsedSpell;
int m_nDmgAmount;
};

void attackMonster(Monster *pMonster, SpellEffect *pEffect, int dmgAmount) {
//returns std::vector<AttackInfo*>
getAttackInfoList()->push_back(new AttackInfo("Critical hit!", pMonster, pEffect, dmgAmount)));
}

Something like this?

Regards,
zEeLi

I agree with zeeli. I see no problem with hard coding that information into the game. If you want more than one effect per spell consider using a linked list.

However only hard code the spell information if you intend to leave it alone. If you want a more dynamic approach store it in a file. Just don't forget to encrypt that! Many games do in fact store the spell data separately from the game executable this allows them to update and tweak values more efficiently.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!