access to the vertex data

Started by
23 comments, last by Evil Steve 14 years, 11 months ago
Hi. I use DirectX 9. My problem is: how can I access to the data (position, normal, ...) of each vertex ? The 3D object mesh is loaded from the DirectX file (*.x), with the function "D3DXLoadMeshFromX":

D3DXLoadMeshFromX(MESH_FILE,0,D3DDev,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,&D3DMesh)

How can I access to the data of each vertex from the this ? Someone know the solution ? Thanls for all.
Advertisement
You have to lock the vertex buffer, which provides you with a pointer to the raw vertex data. With ID3DXMesh, you can just call LockVertexBuffer rather than calling Lock directly on the vertex buffer.
Quote:Original post by MJP
LockVertexBuffer

So, I have to use "LockVertexBuffer" for locking and access to the vertex data. Then I can manipolate the position of the vertex and then unlock.

Is this the correct procedure ?

Yes, that is correct.
Yes, that is correct.

One question:
if I use the follow:

D3DMesh->LockVertexBuffer(D3DLOCK_DISCARD, ppData)

"ppData" just contain the vertex data (position, normal, ... ) ?
Quote:Original post by Claudio
Yes, that is correct.

One question:
if I use the follow:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

No - because D3DLOCK_DISCARD means "Throw away the contents of the buffer and give me a new one" (more or less).
You want to lock with either 0 or D3DLOCK_READONLY.
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve

One question:
if I use the follow:

No - because D3DLOCK_DISCARD means "Throw away the contents of the buffer and give me a new one" (more or less).
You want to lock with either 0 or D3DLOCK_READONLY.

So, if I use "0" or "D3DLOCK_READONLY":

D3DMesh->LockVertexBuffer(0, ppData) 

the vertex data (position, ...) are in "ppData" ?

But if I want to modifiy te position of the vertex,the flag has to be "0" and not "D3DLOCK_READONLY" ?
Yes, it will be a pointer to a buffer of data that has the layout specified in your vertex declaration. So if your VB has a position, texture coordinate, and normal, then each vertex will have a total 8 float's.

If you create a struct whose layout exactly matches your vertex layout, you can just treat the buffer pointer as a pointer to an array of this struct type. So for instance with the layout I just mentioned, you would have this:

struct VertexPositionTextureNormal{    D3DXVECTOR3 Position;     D3DXVECTOR2 TexCoord;    D3DXVECTOR3 Normal;}

Then when you lock...

VertexPostionTextureNormal* verts = NULL;D3DMesh->LockVertexBuffer(D3DLOCK_DISCARD, (VOID**)&verts);DWORD  numVerts = D3DMesh->GetNumVertices();for (int i = 0; i < numVerts; i++){   // Access verts as an array to access the vertex data}

While if I want to use the vertex buffer "D3DVB" ?

struct VERTEX3D{	D3DXVECTOR3 position;        D3DXVECTOR3 normal;	DWORD color;	};VERTEX3D * vertex = NULL;D3DVB->Lock(0, 0, (VOID**) &vertex, D3DLOCK_READONLY); // lockDWORD numVerts = D3DMesh()->GetNumVertices(); // total number of verticesfor(int i=0; i < numVerts; i + +){        // access to: vertex.position, vertex.normal, vertex.color}D3DVB->Unlock(); // unlock 

Is correct ?

Appear error about "access violation to..."

Thanks for all.
While if I want to use the vertex buffer "D3DVB" ?

Is correct ?
Yes.

Appear error about "access violation to..."
Because you're not checking return values. What do the Debug Runtimes say?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement