• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jitterjaw

Z buffer when drawing 2D sprites

This topic is 3410 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Im trying to do my first game in DirectX, and I cant get the z-buffer to work. Basicly what Im doing is : drawing a background and then a character and a couple of objects on it. The character and the object have different z values in their D3DXVECTOR3 z value (all legal between 0.0f and 1.0f) but when presenting, it does not seem like the z value does any effect, the only thing that seem to matter is the order the sprites are drawn. The code Im using in order to draw:
//----------------------------CODE
d3dspt->Begin(D3DXSPRITE_SORT_DEPTH_BACKTOFRONT);    // begin sprite drawing	
// draw the sprite
D3DXVECTOR3 center(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);    // center at the upper-left corner
D3DXVECTOR3 position(50.0f, 50.0f, 0.6f);  
d3dspt->Draw(sprite, NULL, NULL, &position, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255, 255, 255));
d3dspt->End();    // end sprite drawing
position.x=200.0f;
position.z = 0.8f; // change z position
d3dspt2->Begin(D3DXSPRITE_SORT_DEPTH_BACKTOFRONT);// begin second sprite drawing
d3dspt2->Draw(sprite, NULL, NULL, &position, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255, 255, 255));
d3dspt2->End();    // end sprite drawing
//---------------------------ENDCODE

Any help will be appriciated, Thanks... :) [Edited by - jitterjaw on May 18, 2009 11:31:23 AM]

Advertisement
is there a special reason you are using 2 sprites?you can draw two diffrent objects with the same sprite(its even faster if you use 1 begin and end calls). and well i am not sure zbuffer affects sprites(i think they are drawn on screen space, and not world space).
anyway, to turn zbuffer on you put this when you create your present params :

[schnitzel]
PresParams.EnableAutoDepthStencil = TRUE;
PresParams.AutoDepthStencilFormat = D3DFMT_D16;
[/schnitzel]

Quote:
Original post by Bru
is there a special reason you are using 2 sprites?you can draw two diffrent objects with the same sprite(its even faster if you use 1 begin and end calls). and well i am not sure zbuffer affects sprites(i think they are drawn on screen space, and not world space).
anyway, to turn zbuffer on you put this when you create your present params :

[schnitzel]
PresParams.EnableAutoDepthStencil = TRUE;
PresParams.AutoDepthStencilFormat = D3DFMT_D16;
[/schnitzel]

Thanks for the replay. This does not seem to create the effect I wanted, even though it has an effect on the display, it does not effect the order of the layers being drawn. Maybe the answer does not lay in the z-buffer as it is defined in the 3D, but the tutorial I worked with claimed it is possible to control the way the layers are drawn using just the z value.
The reason Im using several sprites is that I have very large textures (2048X2048) each of a character in the game, and I need to draw several characters on the screen at the same time.
Thanks

You must use

d3dspt->End();

only once at the end of your Draw() calls.

Sprite->End() does all the sorting and drawing depending on the
Sprite->Begin() statement.

Quote:
Original post by MichaelH55
You must use

d3dspt->End();

only once at the end of your Draw() calls.

Sprite->End() does all the sorting and drawing depending on the
Sprite->Begin() statement.

Hi and Thanks for the replay,
Im not 100% sure about what am I supposed to do, since I am using 2 sprite pointers, and each of them need a Begin and an End. Do you mean it only sorts the sprites that come out of the same sprite pointer ?
Thanks

They are saying do ALL of the drawing between Begin() and End(), right now you have a begin and end for each sprite / object, draw ALL objects between 1 Begin() and End() otherwise each Begin and End should be using a different ZBuffer making Z position pretty much irrelevant.

Draw()
{
Begin()
Draw Calls here for all objects
End()

}

Quote:
Original post by JonConley
They are saying do ALL of the drawing between Begin() and End(), right now you have a begin and end for each sprite / object, draw ALL objects between 1 Begin() and End() otherwise each Begin and End should be using a different ZBuffer making Z position pretty much irrelevant.

Draw()
{
Begin()
Draw Calls here for all objects
End()

}

Hi,
I think there is a misunderstanding, because the Begin and End are functions of the sprite pointer, in order to draw into the screen a begin and an end will have to be declared per sprite pointer.
To sum up all of what was said, there is no way to order by z depth when using several sprites ? is there a better way to show 2D graphics in DirectX not using sprites ?
Thanks...

Quote:
Original post by jitterjaw
I think there is a misunderstanding, because the Begin and End are functions of the sprite pointer, in order to draw into the screen a begin and an end will have to be declared per sprite pointer.
You should only have one ID3DXSprite in your entire application. Think of it as a sprite renderer, rather than an individual sprite.
Then you should only have a single Begin()..End() pair for all of your sprites.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!