• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Meshboy

Most Basic Parallax Occlusion Mapping

This topic is 3410 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, have anyone implemented Parallax Occlusion Mapping? I am so tired of these samples where DXUtils is implemented and the codelines are above 5000 just to demonstrate something rather simple. Is there anyone who have some basic/simple code for Loading a Mesh (simple mesh with some textures.) with 3 different textures (heightmap,color etc). i can´t seem to get it work with my current project...

Advertisement
I had the same problem until I started using RenderMonkey!
Not only that RenderMonkey itself is awesome, no: it usually leaves you alone with the code as it handles passing the vertex attributes etc. So what I'm doing now is just looking for RenderMonkey project files so I can have a look at how its done.

I'm pretty sure there are more Parallax Occlusion Mapping samples than this so if you need more google for it.

I hope my tip helps :)

//Edit: This is for GLSL, but as said before, I'm sure there are more samples and it should be pretty easy to get the same effect in HLSL

but how do you use monkeyrender?

is it just for scripting out the effect file?
or how do you use it in your d3d app?

Oh I thought you would know what RenderMonkey is.
Its just a tool to develop shaders. You can load your objects, textures etc and link them to the shader (which you will edit in RenderMonkey itself) which will then give immediate output.
This is quite useful because if you have a RenderMonkey project for Parallax Occlusion Mapping you can simply load it and check the shader sourcecode - then see what RenderMonkey does pass to the shader.
Its all there - no more looking through window-initialization code or other peoples vector class etc.
As you don't seem to be familar with RenderMonkey yet there might be something else which works better for you, but I would highly recommend learning either fxComposer (which is too complex in my opinion) or RenderMonkey because both help a lot while working on effects like the one you are asking for.

thanks for your info, but i am not after learning how to crate those effect-scripts (the math that makes parallax ocllusion works) but what i want is to learn how to implement the .fx file in my project so that my mesh is being rendered with that effect. My Mesh in this case is my Level for my FPS game.

do you have any links or other info on that area?

I think you should do more basic stuff before then.. Parallax Occlusion mapping is not too simple and you seem to be a beginner at this.
How about trying to understand what you are actually doing instead of just mixing stuff together?

However, a short - not even 30 seconds - google search gave me this: http://www.ziggyware.com/readarticle.php?article_id=47

PS: Its not "effect-scripting" but simply: "write shaders". I already see a new topic by you: "Why is my Parallax Occlusion Mapping effect so slow?" - wouldn't be too surprising after checking your topic history.

it´s just that without a working demo its hard to write something up from beginning. it is easier to break code appeart that was working in the first plance. Ive got it to work before with POM from a loaded mesh, but as you say i don´t understand 100% about what i am doing, just 40% ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!