Win32 Heap Error with SDL App

Started by
5 comments, last by YellowShadow 14 years, 11 months ago
Hey guys, I'm getting a Win32 Heap Error when I quit my SDL application. Here is the exact error:

Windows has triggered a breakpoint in GunKnights.exe.

This may be due to a corruption of the heap, which indicates a bug in GunKnights.exe or any of the DLLs it has loaded.

This may also be due to the user pressing F12 while GunKnights.exe has focus.

The output window may have more diagnostic information.
I don't know how to fix this because I have never gotten this before. I can post the source code if needed. If anyone can help me fix this, that would be great. Thanks, YellowShadow
-----------------I develop games :)
Advertisement
You are probably trashing memory somewhere by writing past the end of an array or something like that. Try examining your code for errors, and perhaps try commenting out parts of your code to narrow down what is causing it. MS also provide some functions that help debug memory issues, such as _CrtCheckMemory.
Okay, I found the error. If I comment out the line in SDL_FreeSurface(buffer) in my Game class's deconstructor I don't get that error.

Is there anyway to avoid that error and leave that line of code in the Game's deconstructor?
Tell us more about your class. What is "buffer"? Is it allocated correctly? You aren't double-freeing it, are you?
Here is the classes's code.

#include "Game.h"Game::Game(){	done = false;	fullScreen = false;	maxFPS = 60;	screenWidth = 1024;	screenHeight = 728;	screenBPP = 32;	SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING);	SDL_WM_SetCaption("GunKnights Alpha Build", NULL);	buffer = NULL;	state = GameMenu;	if (fullScreen)		buffer = SDL_SetVideoMode(screenWidth, screenHeight, screenBPP, SDL_SWSURFACE | SDL_FULLSCREEN);	else		buffer = SDL_SetVideoMode(screenWidth, screenHeight, screenBPP, SDL_SWSURFACE);	if (buffer == NULL)		std::cerr << "Error initializing the buffer\n" << std::endl;}Game::~Game(){	//SDL_FreeSurface(buffer);}void Game::ToggleFullScreen(){	if (fullScreen)	{		fullScreen = false;		buffer = SDL_SetVideoMode(screenWidth, screenHeight, screenBPP, SDL_SWSURFACE);	}	else	{		fullScreen = true;		buffer = SDL_SetVideoMode(screenWidth, screenHeight, screenBPP, SDL_SWSURFACE | SDL_FULLSCREEN);	}}void Game::SetWindowCaption(std::string caption){	SDL_WM_SetCaption(caption.c_str(), NULL);}void Game::Update(){	SDL_Flip(buffer);}void Game::Quit(){	done = true;}void Game::Done(bool val){	done = val;}void Game::State(GameState val){	state = val;}int Game::ScreenWidth() { return screenWidth; }int Game::ScreenHeight() { return screenHeight; }int Game::ScreenBPP() { return screenBPP; }int Game::FPS() { return maxFPS; }bool Game::Done() { return done; }GameState Game::State() { return state; }

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
The documentation for SDL_SetVideoMode() says:
Quote:
The returned surface is freed by SDL_Quit and must not be freed by the caller.

Also, you can rewrite the following:
if (fullScreen)	buffer = SDL_SetVideoMode(screenWidth, screenHeight, screenBPP, SDL_SWSURFACE | SDL_FULLSCREEN);else	buffer = SDL_SetVideoMode(screenWidth, screenHeight, screenBPP, SDL_SWSURFACE);

as:
Uint32 flags = SDL_SWSURFACE;if (fullScreen){    flags |= SDL_FULLSCREEN;}buffer = SDL_SetVideoMode(screenWidth, screenHeight, screenBPP, flags);
Thanks a lot for the help :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement