How come there aren't any decent racing games for pc?

Started by
11 comments, last by Kylotan 14 years, 10 months ago
How come there is such a lack of any decent racing games for the PC? I can only think of a few decent racing games, the rest are of amateurish quality and have extremely outdated graphics. Do companies not really believe there's a market for PC racing games or are they afraid of a potential for piracy?
Advertisement
About the same reason there aren't many for the consoles. The Physics take a while to get right, and graphics have to be sharper and more realistic than most genres so the hardware issue is greater. It's simply cheaper to develop them on a console.

Even so, the licensing, physics, and work is quite a bit even before getting into graphics, and God help you if you don't have at least cosmetic damage. PC's have the added disadvantage of having to develop for a myriad of hardware configurations, trying to get Vista to actually work, etc...
I thought Colin McRae: DIRT was pretty good. Which ones don't you like and why?

Edit: I never played the PC version, maybe you're referring to the fact that the PC versions are not as good as the console versions, which is not something I personally can comment on (having not really played a racing game on the PC in a number of years...)
I would have thought its because casual multi player (as in everyone pick up a controller and plays rather than having to log onto a server with everyone on separate computers) is a major selling point for racing games.
Quote:Original post by Codeka
I thought Colin McRae: DIRT was pretty good. Which ones don't you like and why?

Colin McRae: Dirt and gt-r are the few PC games that I do like. I just can't stand any arcade type racing games like the need for speed or test drive series. It would have been awesome If games like forza, Gran Turismo, and project gotham racing had been made for the PC. It just seems that the market for PC racing games is underdeveloped.
What would the controls be like? On a console controller you have pressure-sensitive controls for things like brakes, acceleration, steering and looking around. With a standard keyboard/mouse combination you don't have this, you are either braking or not braking, you can't ease on the brakes, as the key is either down or it isn't.
You could always use a wheel like the Logitech G25.

I've played a whole lot of Live For Speed on my G25. The graphics aren't the best, but the simulation is solid and there's enough of a community to have fun. The graphics aren't the important part in a simulation, and the budget (and market) is low enough that it can't really support that.
Chris528, you aren't looking in the right places. The most accurate simulations are on the PC.

http://www.number66.net/feature-a-look-at-pc-race-simulators/

Not that many people have the interest or ability requisite for that caliber of game, so naturally there aren't many individual titles, just as there aren't many proper flight simulators at any given time. But you can mod and customize the hell out of the few titles that do exist, so there's no need for many individual titles.

You don't see many of the simple, low end racing games on the PC because the bulk of the people who'd like to play them are not willing to invest in controllers (kb+m is no good, no matter how low your standards), and besides, are more likely to already possess a console than a gaming-capable PC.
You might want to take a look at www.arcasimracing.com if you are interested in circle track racing. Its being developed as a full sim with the help of the ARCA group.
- My $0.02
Take a look at trackmania http://www.trackmania.com/tm/index.php?lang=en Very polished both game and graphics wise. The best thing is there is a free version (I believe it is nations forever). I am not a big fan of racing games but this one I have been addicted to for a long long time and made me reconsider the genre.
"I would rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks" -Unknown

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement