• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Adrastus

Which version of Python to start with?

This topic is 3318 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First off, I would like to thank everyone for their quick response in my previous post whether to start with ActionScript 3.0, C++, or other language. Due to the cost of another version of Flash to toss on my laptop I've decided to learn Python first because it's open source. However, my question is which version of Python to begin learning. After doing some research Python 3.0 and later doesn't work with the previous versions of Python (2.5 ect... http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=517226 ) but I can't find any good resources on the newer versions of Python. I've come across two books on Python 3.0 but neither of which is recommended for the beginner. Also I've done some browsing on the net and have come up empty (bad luck perhaps or looking in the wrong places). Anywho...should I keep up to date and learn the newer version and keep on trucking with the search for free online resources or go with the last 2.something version with a lot of free resources? I suppose the title of this post could have also been "Any good free resources for learning Python 3.0". Thanks in advance for any suggestions, they are appreciated. Jason

Advertisement
I'd suggest sticking with the 2.x line for now. Python 3.0 doesn't yet work with a lot of the libraries out there, including a few libraries that, given that you're posting on a game development site, you will almost certainly want to use.

In terms of learning the language, using a 2.x textbook with a 3.0 language probably wouldn't lead to any huge problems.... there's print statements, and there's unicode string handling, and other than that most of the changes are either non-breaking or so obscure that you won't find them until you really understand them. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to remove as many sources of complication as possible when you're just starting out. And besides, for actual development, 2.x is currently the way to go.

Specifically, 2.6. The constellation of libraries has mature support for 2.6 now. 3.0 is not viable for general production uses due to all the reasons Sneftel mentioned. Django won't even look at 3.0 support until next year, so if that's something you're interested in then your choice is obvious.

I think the official documentation is very nice.

This seems a good place to start: http://docs.python.org/tutorial/

When you want to jump to 3.0, just read this (Seems pretty easy. Perhaps you should read it now to make sure your code won't broke) http://docs.python.org/3.0/whatsnew/3.0.html

Make mine a vote for 2.6. There are a couple of libraries I use which are still only built for 2.5 but they're in the minority. The 3.0 line is just there for migration purposes, and the time to move over is not yet here.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!