• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Siberianhusky89

Suck at Drawing severely

This topic is 3321 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Before you move this topic, there's a reason I put it here. I suck at drawing severely as it says, however, I'm not trying to be an artist, the reason I put it here is because I suck at it so bad that I wouldn't be able to make a concept sketch for an artist to work on. If I was to draw a person, it would look like a 4 year old that's never drawn before has made it. What do you recommend I do?

Advertisement
Some of your best ideas will come from a verbal description of an object or scene, and an artists interpretation of the object or scene. This type of collaborative inspiration can be a great asset.

However, I suggest that you start practicing art on the side. Sometimes words can not effectively communicate the minutiae that are required for high levels of polish. Saying, "Make it shinier here, and rounder over there," isn't enough at times.

Be very, very descriptive in your writings. Each of the races in my RPG design doc has a page of detail at minimum on their looks and culture. Some, have 2-3 pages. I had 1 that was 20 pages long, but even I thought that was ridiculous.

And practice drawing, as said. One of the biggest issues is patience. You can get a rather cheap but good book at your local Barnes and Nobles off the bargain racks. For simple sketches, #2 pencils will work fine, and you can pick up a sketch book fairly cheap as well.

Although I do draw, what I do is collect images from the internet in reference image folders. Not owning the rights to the image, obviously they can't be used as-is, but they are great for showing to artists and saying, "I like this art style for characters, please try to use a similar style when drawing concept art for the provided written descriptions." Or, a photograph of a real person's hair style, and you suggest to the artist that a character have that hair style. Or a picture of a famous ancient building, a picture of a cluster of crystals, and ask the artist to draw that building made out of those crystals.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!