• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Fire Lancer

Variable organisation problem

This topic is 3495 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ive got two classes A and B. A is a standalone class, B requires a pointer to A when its constructed, which cant be changed (refrence counting is used so an A instance is never destroyed if instances of B created "with" it still exist). B needs to store some information (for example a counter), for each instance of A used to create it (eg to go with the counter example, lets say the number of B instances created with that A instance). The problem is how to store this counter variable. I could add the variable to class A, and make B a friend so it has access to it, however A doesnt really need to know anything about B, so I dont want to add anything like this to A. The other option I considered was giving B a static map variable, so it can store infomation on each A instance, eg "std::map<A*,unsigned> counters;", however this seems untidy because ive now got a varaible which is kinda linked to every A instance, but not actaully a member of A. Also I imagen that as the number of diffrent A instances that have existed and been used to create B instance, performance will degrade due to the map lookup B has to keep doing... Which of these two implementations is best, and do I have any further options?

Advertisement
Why do you need to do this? Perhaps with a bit of re-organisation you could avoid this problem?

I think you should take a look at boost::shared_ptr. Give each B instance a shared_ptr to the A instance they need. The shared_ptr will do the reference counting - and cleaning up - for you.

Will each B class only reference one A class? If so why not store a pointer to A inside B so that if you need anything from A withing B you can just call A's methods to get what you need.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!