Infinity engine like scenes, info needed!

Started by
0 comments, last by Codeka 14 years, 11 months ago
I'm having a hard time finding any info on how to make pre-rendered isometric scenes in the style of the infinity engine games. YOu know, the one used in games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. Not info on the art side of things(I know how to model, set-u and render scenes), but on the quirks involved. How is that kind of scene implemented. Do you just render one huge image file? One piece? Do you have to render walls and other objects that need transparency separately? Can you have those scenes without transparency and have no problems? Any info would be appreciated. I'm nostly looking just for this info, but I suppose some related art tutorials wouldn't hurt as well. Cheers!
Advertisement
As far as I know, Infinity was a pretty standard isometric engine. There is the GemRB which is an open-source implementation of the engine and there is the IESDP project which seeks to document all the file formats and stuff used by the engine. You can probably figure out all the details from that.

It is the artwork which gives the games their particular look, no special tricks in the engine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement