• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
etsuja

Small scale multiplayer persistent characters

This topic is 3416 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just at the idea stage of a game right now but I was wondering, what would it take to make a small scale multiplayer game where a player would keep a character they make and be able to play that character on multiple servers. I guess it would be like what Diablo 2 does, only I don't know what they do really. Do they handle all player actions on a master server?

Advertisement
To make that particular network function once you have a networked RPG: not particularly hard.
To make an online RPG in general, even if it's small scale: pretty hard.
To prevent cheating in any system where users are allowed to run authoritative machines (including user-hosted servers): impossible.

I don't really want to make anything too complicated, probably something with slightly more depth than a typical flash game. Although I kinda wanted it to have some sort of on going progression on the players part. I'm not aiming for absolutely cheat proof but it would be nice if cheating didn't absolutely destroy the game.

I don't necessarily want to make an online rpg, although there might be some rpg elements included. The main goal would just be character progression such as items, and wealth, I havn't decided if there's going to be any kind of leveling/skill progression yet.

Something along the lines I'm thinking would be to get a small group of players to crawl a randomly generated dungeon each session.

Quote:
Original post by etsuja
I'm just at the idea stage of a game right now but I was wondering, what would it take to make a small scale multiplayer game where a player would keep a character they make and be able to play that character on multiple servers.

I guess it would be like what Diablo 2 does, only I don't know what they do really. Do they handle all player actions on a master server?

Diablo 2 has three main multiplayer modes, the normal battle.net one where characters and servers are hosted by blizzard (These can be made fairly secure), a LAN mode (Characters are stored on the local computer and the game server is hosted by one of the players), and an "open" battle.net mode where you're allowed to use your LAN characters to play with others on blizzards battle.net servers.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!