• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy6996

Developing a webbrowser plugin for our game so it may be played in the webbrowser

This topic is 3317 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm wanting to develope a webbrowser plugin for our game so it may be played in the browser. I've done some googling and have failed to find any good results. Thank you.

Advertisement
Which browser? They're all different.

You're much better off using one that's already been made: Flash (or Silverlight if prefer .NET).

Quote:
Original post by Codeka
Which browser? They're all different.

You're much better off using one that's already been made: Flash (or Silverlight if prefer .NET).

I assumed by posting this in the DirectX\XNA section it would be assumed I wouldn't be using flash :O but thanks. Also this project is in C++, I don't think I'll be able to use Silverlight.

But the main point of developing for a browser is usually to avoid requiring your users to download and install stuff. If you don't mind the fact that they have to install stuff, what's the benefit of a browser plugin over something like ClickOnce (which also works with C++)?

Also, you might want to check out google's O3D.

Quote:
Original post by Codeka
But the main point of developing for a browser is usually to avoid requiring your users to download and install stuff. If you don't mind the fact that they have to install stuff, what's the benefit of a browser plugin over something like ClickOnce (which also works with C++)?

Also, you might want to check out google's O3D.

I was leaning more towards creating and ActiveX control and a passing it's window handle to the D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS struct given when calling IDIRECT3D9::D3DCreateDevice, however can anyone confirm whether this would or would not work?

Quote:
Original post by Jeremy6996
I was leaning more towards creating and ActiveX control and a passing it's window handle to the D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS struct given when calling IDIRECT3D9::D3DCreateDevice, however can anyone confirm whether this would or would not work?
And how are you going to run your C++ code? You'd need to have the EXE running on the users PC for that, which means they'd have to have downloaded it and be able to run it (I.e. have the nessecary redist packages installed).

Also, if I went to a website and saw some custom control that tries to download and run a EXE file, I'd close the browser window, run every virus scanner under the sun and never visit that site again...

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Quote:
And how are you going to run your C++ code? You'd need to have the EXE running on the users PC for that, which means they'd have to have downloaded it and be able to run it (I.e. have the nessecary redist packages installed).

Also, if I went to a website and saw some custom control that tries to download and run a EXE file, I'd close the browser window, run every virus scanner under the sun and never visit that site again...

I am well aware of this Evil Steve, however if these games are run in the web-browser I have more control, EX Advertisements, etc. Also, for your second comment, I along with all the people at InstantAction.com strongly disagree. Most users feel MUCH more comfortable installing a plugin which downloads the binary file & updates, then directly downloading the distributed binary file(even though they can both cause an equal amount of damage if they contain malicious code), at least the people I work around do. It also forces users to visit your site before attempting to launch the game, keeping them fully updated with events etc. However, lets not turn this into an opinion versus thread. I was simply asking whether someone can confirm this method would work.

Quote:
I am well aware of this Evil Steve, however if these games are run in the web-browser I have more control, EX Advertisements, etc. Also, for your second comment, I along with all the people at InstantAction.com strongly disagree. Most users feel MUCH more comfortable installing a plugin which downloads the binary file & updates, then directly downloading the distributed binary file(even though they can both cause an equal amount of damage if they contain malicious code), at least the people I work around do. It also forces users to visit your site before attempting to launch the game, keeping them fully updated with events etc. However, lets not turn this into an opinion versus thread. I was simply asking whether someone can confirm this method would work.
Fair points.

Back on topic - I remember playing a full game in an ActiveX control a while ago (Over a year ago) - It was running either D3D or OpenGL, I forget which.
Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the site or the game, which isn't that useful - but it does imply that it's certainly possible.

Well, Quake Live works like this, I believe.

I still think you're better off using ClickOnce (or even Silverlight), though. ActiveX only works in Internet Explorer, you'd have to do something different for Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Konquerer, or just about any other browser you want to develop a plugin for. At least with ClickOnce the hard work of developing the plugin for all browsers has already been done.

Quote:
Original post by Codeka
Well, Quake Live works like this, I believe.

I still think you're better off using ClickOnce (or even Silverlight), though. ActiveX only works in Internet Explorer, you'd have to do something different for Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Konquerer, or just about any other browser you want to develop a plugin for. At least with ClickOnce the hard work of developing the plugin for all browsers has already been done.

Works fine in firefox for me..

"ClickOnce deployment is available for projects created with Visual Basic, Visual C#, and Visual J#, but not for Visual C++."
Direct quote from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/t71a733d(VS.80).aspx (link will probably be invalidated) there are ways to get it to work, once again I am looking more for an in-browser game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!