• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JDX_John

[web] [JavaScript] A web-app to let you grab data from other web pages

This topic is 3410 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry, that's a really bad explanation, let me try with a few more words. Imagine I want to build a personal photo-gallery of pictures I find on the web. So, I go to my online page for the gallery. Then from within my page I go to a friend's facebook page and grab a picture into my gallery. Then I search for "giant cat" on Google images and grab a couple of those as well. The key point is from my web-app, I need to be able to grab information from other web-pages. Now I can mockup that up easily enough using maybe an iframe, to e.g have FaceBook in my web-page. Or I guess I could have a 2nd browser window and communicate between the two, I've seen such things often for calendar controls. At a conceptual level I know what I want, but I'm not that hot on doing tricky clever things in javascript, I'm more a Flex/Java guy. Can anyone suggest ideas, or point me to example pages that do cool stuff, pages that describe this kind of thing, or just good terms to search for on Google? Many thanks.

Advertisement
I thought Drupal was just a CMS system?

Anyhow, I think what I'm looking at (the photos thing is just a simple example of the type of use) will probably require making our own system - we don't integrate any particular site, but need the way to do things like overlay a "use this image" over images on any web-page you visit, that kind of thing.

The closest I have seen is silly websites where you can load any web-page and then do things like machine-gun it. e.g client-side messing about, interacting with the DOM to mine information, etc. I can't provide many real-life examples due to NDA, but basically we're talking about a client-side app that can mine data from web-pages.

EDIT: one approach is presumably to write a plugin for the browser, but I'd prefer to avoid that if possible.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!