Second Game Developed: Larry Goose's Tank and Warfare

Started by
5 comments, last by AqAZAr 14 years, 11 months ago
Here's a game me and my friend developed earlier in the year. It's made in Game Maker 7 (nothing too special). I'm not totally sure if this is the right place to post it, but I'll give it a shot. LARRY GOOSE'S TANK AND WARFARE A TPI Incorporated/JT Starr Productions Game [WHAT IS LARRY GOOSE'S TANK AND WARFARE?] Larry Goose's Tank and Warfare is a game coming out this holiday season, created by Joey Cifala of TPI Incorporated. The soundtrack, completely overseen by bmspriTermusic, will be a throwback to the 8-Bit stylings of the 1980's. Graphically the game is more advanced, representing the pinnacle of SNES/MS-DOS artistic design and utilizing a mixture of 2-D/3-D styled sprites. The gameplay itself is top down shooter, wherein you play as the central character Larry in a tank as you voyage through 3 big worlds that hold secret passages, extra bonuses, and clever traps. [WHAT IS THE STORY OF THIS GAME?] Like many games of it's (emulated) time, Larry Goose doesn't have a large or engaging story. There is, however, a plot to the adventure where Larry Goose's Golden Goose military organisation base is attacked by the vicious Snake Gang who wants to ovethrow their protective ways and have a state of anarchy in the homeland. Every other tank in the base escapes to safety, except for a young rogue who was unconscience due to a battle beforehand, and the leader, Larry. Never one to leave a comrade behind, Larry has waited for you to awaken so he can help you get out and take down the Snakes with your tank. Get to the battle! [ARE THERE UPGRADES AND EXTRA WEAPONS?] Of course! While your tank will physically remain the same for the entire game, you can upgrade your bullets to higher-damage, longer ranged splashers, which douse the enemy in energy. You can also get Photon Grenades, which destroy smaller tanks in one shot (even your own, so beware of enemies who might use them!), Plasma Mines, which, when layed, destroy themselves in a blue blast when the timer on them goes out, and Firestiks, blue rods that come in packs of three and wipe out enemy tanks in the radius upon pressing space, without harming you. There is also a secret weapon avaliable only to super players who find hidden passges... [AFTER THE STORY, WHAT REPLAY IS THERE?] Try and go for the best score. You can gather Goose Coins hidden on the path that take some ingeniuty at times to find, or destroy all the enemies in a level for some extra points. Attack everything to see if it's smashable. Get the highest score and post it online! [THE FUTURE OF THIS GAME?] Perhaps downloadable extras...? [SCREENSHOTS] 1 2 3 4 [WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ON THIS GAME?]
">A Christmas Message from my company explains the gist of it. [WHERE CAN I ACTUALLY DOWNLOAD IT?] Here! Feedback is greatly appreciated. [Edited by - AqAZAr on May 20, 2009 3:14:54 PM]
Advertisement
Hi this should probably go in the 'Your Announcements' section of the forum.

Also, it is better to insert proper links so that the lazy reader (like me) doesn't have to copy-n-paste. Just read the FAQ to know how to make the links work.

Here I did some for you:

">A Christmas Message from my company explains the gist of it.
Here!

[SCREENSHOTS]

Edit: I will reply more once I can check it out better now that it's linked.
Thanks. I wasn't sure whether or not to use HTML or the forum quote used most places.
No problem. I watched the intro video movie and it is well done. Enough to pique the interest of the viewer. However, most of us here at GDNet are more interested in game play.

So while the intro movie is cool, it would be better if it were extended so as to show off some of the game play. For example, what genre is this game? What are the challenging aspects of this game and why would the player play this game and want to come back for more?

Is this game like a cross between a shmup and RTS with lots of explody things?
I was essentially going for a simple tank game sort of dealie. Alot of modern tank games I find are quite annoying or sloppy with controls. I wanted to remedy that with the 'futuristic' kind of tank look. Basically, the game can be played through the use of the arrow keys, spacebar, and Z, X, C, and V keys. It might sound like alot, but I do feel accomplished when it comes to simplifying it.

That said, there is quite a challenge in the later levels. The game itself isn't really long, nor was it intended to be. I was trying to bring in a little bit of the arcade feel - once you master the game, the real challenge becomes topping your high scores.

Gameplay is discussed further in the Christmas video, despite it being out of place around this time of year. :P
Quote:Original post by AqAZAr
I was essentially going for a simple tank game sort of dealie. Alot of modern tank games I find are quite annoying or sloppy with controls. I wanted to remedy that with the 'futuristic' kind of tank look. Basically, the game can be played through the use of the arrow keys, spacebar, and Z, X, C, and V keys. It might sound like alot, but I do feel accomplished when it comes to simplifying it.

That said, there is quite a challenge in the later levels. The game itself isn't really long, nor was it intended to be. I was trying to bring in a little bit of the arcade feel - once you master the game, the real challenge becomes topping your high scores.

Gameplay is discussed further in the Christmas video, despite it being out of place around this time of year. :P

Sounds good. Do you plan to offer joystick/joypad support? I was watching the Christmas video but then stopped. I think with a hot chick discussing the game play I might have made it to the end.
I partially coded in some joystick support. I'm not sure if it still works in the final edition, but you can give it a try.

I'll keep it in mind for the next video. ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement