How do you like to get your loot?

Started by
11 comments, last by wodinoneeye 14 years, 11 months ago
I think there is a correlation between interface style / tactile-ness and "toy vs. simulation". Where objects drop on the ground or appear in a pop-up list, comes too the feeling that the game is more a toy. Where creatures lie, waiting for their valuables to be rifled through, comes more of a sense that the game is more of a simulation.

Depending on how you want to present your game (toy vs. simulation) helps you choose how to present the interface to the user.

Personally, I prefer the simulation route.
Advertisement
This topic reminded me of probably one of the greatest game promo's ever, the Bling Gnome from Dungeon Runners.

The way it worked is any loot that dropped on the ground from an enemy or chest that was below a certain quality the gnome would digest and then...give you money for it as if you had sold it to an npc shop. Here's a link to the promo video, it still cracks me up!
-----------------------Or, as I put it, MMORPG's are currently about attaining two primary things: strength and a shovel. The rest is you just shoveling sh** endlessly trying to get stronger to shovel more sh** so you can look for the next new shovel to shovel more sh** with. Once you are done, you can stand on top of a large pile of sh**, raise your golden sh** shoveler up high into the air and boast how proud you are to be the best sh** shoveler of them all. -Griffin_Kemp
Some games have capacity limits (slots or weight totals) where auto loot generally would be very bothersome.

Filters might be helpfuil but again that depends on how many kinds of loot and how complex the filter controls would be.

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement