• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AblazeSpace

Quaternion questions

10 posts in this topic

How could I transform a direction vector to a quaternion? How could I get out the x/y/z rotation from a quaternion? How could I create a smooth interpolation between two quaternion? (slow at beginning, fastest at middle and slow at the end) Questions over questions... I hope someone could help me.

> How could I transform a direction vector to a quaternion?

If you mean to a rotation quaternion you can''t. A direction vector does not specify a rotation. You need more information, such as where the vector is rotated from and how the rotation takes place.

> How could I get out the x/y/z rotation from a quaternion?

There''s standard code to extract Euler angles from a rotation quaternion, see Gamedev''s articles section.

> How could I create a smooth interpolation between two
> quaternion? (slow at beginning, fastest at middle and slow
> at the end)

Use slerp with a ''smoothing'' function. E.g. if your usual slerp function is

result = slerp (q0, q1, t)

with t ranging from 0 to 1, instead use

result = slerp (q0, q1, 0.5 - 0.5 * cos(s))

where s ranges from 0 to pi. The function

t = 0.5 - 0.5 * cos(s)

is an example of a function that smooths out the motion: look at the graph of cos to see why. There are a wide range of functions that do this, or only smooth the beginning or ending.

Thanks for your answer!!

>> If you mean to a rotation quaternion you can''t. A direction vector does not specify a rotation. You need more information, such as where the vector is rotated from and how the rotation takes place.

- Do you have any code for doing this??

> - Do you have any code for doing this??

No. The problem is you''re problem is not precise enough, you need more information. The code depends on what extra information you have. E.g. if you have the axis about which the rotation takes place you might find the angle you must turn through, giving you the angle-axis description of the rotation, which is then easy to convert to a quaternion. But it depends on what info you have.

>>There''s standard code to extract Euler angles from a rotation
>>quaternion, see Gamedev''s articles section.

I''ve been looking for a way to do this for a long time, if you had a specific link to the article it would be great because I can''t find it

Oh yeah and for the direction vector maybe you could find the euler angles for it and convert that to a quaternion.

-David-

>>There''s standard code to extract Euler angles from a rotation
>>quaternion, see Gamedev''s articles section.

> I''ve been looking for a way to do this for a long time, if you
> had a specific link to the article it would be great because I
> can''t find it

Sorry, the article I was thinking of (the Gamasutra one) dosen''t have quaternion -> Euler angle conversion. It has conversion the other way, and converting to and from matrices.

The reason is there''s no need for it: the only use for Euler angles is for inputting or initialising a rotation, inside game code both quaternions or matrices are easier, quicker and more accurate to use. I''ve not yet found a problem that requires Euler angles at any stage of a calculation.

You will be able to retrieve euler from a quat if you can retrieve euler from a matrix.

However, retrieveing euler angles from matrix is not easy, if possible, as euler to matrix is a many-to-one relationship.

I just wanted euler cause I can easily apply it to a vector, how do I apply a quaternion to a vector? I have a game with a spaceship that rotates around using quaternions but it can''t go forward because I can''t figure out what the rotated vector is. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
-David-