Getting games done.

Started by
2 comments, last by ravengangrel 14 years, 11 months ago
Didn't really know where to post this, thought it made the most sense here. I'm having some troubles deciding what I really want to do as far as game development goes. I have yet to complete any games other than real basic text games. Although I have worked on some of my own larger projects with a few things implemented, though that's the way my large projects usually stay. What I really love doing is coming up with game designs/mechanics, and to a lesser extent, artwork. I think I'm around an intermediate programming level but it's my least favorite thing to do out of what I've done for game development. I'd like to see some of my larger game designs get made but there's the problem, everyone seems to be working on their own projects to get involved with others'. So, anyone have some advice on what I should do to get some of my games done?
Artist 1st - Programmer 2nd(I'll get some material linked here sometime to support these claims, haha)
Advertisement
The best way to make your own stuff is to just work on it and all aspects of it. You may end up inspiring someone with what you've created and they will want to join your team, either way you will make progress.

Never give up on something. Keep working on it, always aim to finish what you start and you'll be surprised at what happens.
What I do is I make a check list of everything that has to be done, from start to finish including all the details. Then as I develop the game, I cross things off the list rewarding me on the progress I've made. I can also leave the project for a little while and when I come back I know exactly what is left to be done by looking at the list.
Quote:Original post by mmakrzem
What I do is I make a check list of everything that has to be done, from start to finish including all the details. Then as I develop the game, I cross things off the list rewarding me on the progress I've made. I can also leave the project for a little while and when I come back I know exactly what is left to be done by looking at the list.

This can help a lot:
http://www.abstractspoon.com/tdl_resources.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement