• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mybowlcut

OpenAL alutLoadWAVFile

This topic is 3412 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey. I'm trying to use OpenAL with my OpenGL app. I have downloaded the latest SDK from the OpenAL website. I compiled a program similar to the one here and got these errors:
Error	1	error C3861: 'alutLoadWAVFile': identifier not found
e:\uni\2009 01\csp2307 introduction to 3d game programming\assessments\ass2\audio_cache.cpp	95
Error	2	error C3861: 'alutUnloadWAV': identifier not found
e:\uni\2009 01\csp2307 introduction to 3d game programming\assessments\ass2\audio_cache.cpp	117

So I did some googling and realised that I may need the ALUT installation. I downloaded it from the same site and included it in my code, compiled the program again and get these errors:
Warning	1	warning C4996: 'alutLoadWAVFile' was declared deprecated
e:\uni\2009 01\csp2307 introduction to 3d game programming\assessments\ass2\audio_cache.cpp	96
Warning	2	warning C4996: 'alutUnloadWAV' was declared deprecated
e:\uni\2009 01\csp2307 introduction to 3d game programming\assessments\ass2\audio_cache.cpp	117
Error	3	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__alutUnloadWAV referenced in function "private: unsigned int __thiscall Audio_Cache::Load_Audio(char * const)" (?Load_Audio@Audio_Cache@@AAEIQAD@Z)	Audio_Cache.obj
Error	4	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__alutLoadWAVFile referenced in function "private: unsigned int __thiscall Audio_Cache::Load_Audio(char * const)" (?Load_Audio@Audio_Cache@@AAEIQAD@Z)	Audio_Cache.obj

From more googling, I read that I needed alut.lib, but it didn't come with my OpenAL SDK nor the ALUT installation. I have no idea what to do now... Does anybody know what's going on here? Cheers.

Advertisement
I'm surprised people still try to use ALut... Anyway, check this out. It's a little old, but it should still work.

Hm... while I can appreciate that you've given me a way to work around the alut issue, I'm a bit concerned that I'll have trouble finding a compatible .wav for your code... you mention that the code is crap, but I'm looking for a quick, well-known solution to loading wavs since this is a uni project. Perhaps I'll use SDL_Mixer?

Cheers.

Hey,

Yeah SDL_Mixer will be fine for what you need I imagine. It's really simple to set up and use aswell, which is a plus.

Incase you're interested; Lazyfoo has a really cool tutorial for setting up SDL_Mixer.

Good luck.
Heh

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!