• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sellers04

Is this C# based game too ambitious for my skill-level?

This topic is 3499 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! My name is Kevin, and I'm semi-new to the programming world. I took a year-long website design class in which i learned basic CSS concepts. Recently i purchased John Smiley's Learn to Program with C# (Link: http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Program-C-John-Smiley/dp/0072222611/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242886670&sr=8-2 ) I have been diligently reading it and am nearly halfway after about a week (400 page book). The book covers: Computer Data, Operations, Data Types, Selection Structures, Loops, Creating your own Methods, Creating Objects from instantiable classes, controlling access to your objects data, inheritance and interfaces, arrays, exception handling, building a graphical user interface(GUI), and the final chapter covers event handling in C#. My question is, what will i be capable of creating (games-wise)after completing this book. I will gladly seek a more advanced book after this one if need be. Ideally i hope to be able to create a very rough version of Super Smash Bros except with guns. The idea is only similar to super smash bros but is completely 2D with random sprites and several different weapons. I hope to have 4-player support with each player having a set amount of health. Several different weapons would have different firing characteristics and damage values. Lastly, the player would aim his gun using the joystick (remember not 3d, you point up, your character holds his gun to the ceiling, similar to geometry wars aim control), and fire with R. Additionally, i encourage you to look at the sample code we do in the book that im reading. John Smiley the author has all the exercises posted on his websites. Here is a link, just scroll down to the C# area, and click exercises, then open the Grades folder, and then it will display the separate code at the end of each chapter. http://www.johnsmiley.com/main/mybooks.htm Thank you so much! I await your responses

Advertisement
I'm fairly new to game development as well. I am working with C++. I personally would recommend starting with smaller games and work towards that if you have never made anything like it before. It can be incredibly frustrating just starting out for you as much as it was me.

It's never too ambitious but don't try for something that's going to take the fun out of it.

the game u described is 50x-500x more complicated than say, tetris (prolly closer to the upper limit)

how long will tetris take you to do?

perhaps a week ( perhaps even more if youre just beginning )

after that week you will have learnt far more than u would of with the smash bros game, after tetris perhaps then decide if u want to try for the smash bros game

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!