• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chicknstu1981

How to keep track of threads in LUA?

This topic is 3492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I've started using LUA very recently, and I'm looking for a technique how to keep track of threads. I'm sure the solution is a simple one, here's a code example...
#define MAX_THREADS		5
lua_State *Thread[MAX_THREADS];

int luaWait(lua_State *L)
{
	int val = 0;

//How can I tell that I'm in Thread[3] here?

val = lua_yield(L, 0);

return val;
}

void main()
{
	// open lua and std libs
	lua_State *Lua = lua_open();
	luaL_openlibs(Lua);

lua_register(Lua, "Wait", luaWait);

// create a thread
	Thread[3] = lua_newthread(Lua);
	luaL_dofile(Thread[3], "waittest.lua");

// call Main function from script
	lua_getglobal(Thread[3], "Main");
	lua_resume(Thread[3], 0);

printf( "Thread is paused.." );
	getchar();

//resume yielded thread
	lua_resume(Thread[3], 0);
	getchar();

}

And test.lua looks like this...
function Main()
print("In Main function")
Wait()
print("Leaving Main function")
end

And the output is as follows... In LUA Main function Thread is paused.. (then after I press return) Leaving Main function So it's all working as expected. My question is this... how can I tell what thread called the luaWait function from inside that function? (the intention is to have multiple threads running at once, hence the array. I've just fired off number [3] as an example. )

Advertisement
If your not going to do true threading ( ie run each state in a true OS thread ), you can just push a global to indicate what is the current active Lua state at anyone time.

If you intend to do run each Lua state in a OS thread, you can store the Lua thread ID inside the Lua state itself and fetch it when u need it (store it as a global Lua variable called _Thread_ID or something ). Also since you have access to the Lua state like so :

int luaWait(lua_State *L)

you can compare it against the array (lua_State *Thread[MAX_THREADS]) to find the match. This should also work. Be aware if you actually want to run multiple scripts in a unique OS thread, that your C API is also thread safe.

Good Luck!

-ddn

Thanks for the reply. The simplest method is always the easiest one eh!

I actually found an alternative solution. For the benefit of others with the same problem, I actually ended up doing this...

lua_pushlightuserdata(Thread[3], Thread[3]);
lua_pushinteger(Thread[3],3);
lua_settable(Thread[3],LUA_GLOBALSINDEX);

during initilization of the threads, then inside the luaWait function...

lua_pushlightuserdata(L, L);
lua_gettable(L,LUA_GLOBALSINDEX);
int ThreadNumber = lua_tointeger(L,-1); //Got the thread number

... which I believe is using the address of the thread as a key in a table (which will be unique to the thread, and which I'll have inside the luaWait function).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!