• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are unit Vectors?

This topic is 6043 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What does the term "Unit Vector" mean? Also, can anyone roughyl explain to me the concept of "Cross Product" stuff? Thanks!!!!! "The feeling of mastering and understanding hard stuff in Game Programming is just like the feeling when u perform an Air-Walk in the basketball court."

Advertisement
a unit vector is simply a vector with a length of one...
ie... sqrt( (delta x)^2 + (delta y)^2 + (delta z)^2 ) = 1

look for a good tutorial on the net about vectors... flipcode.com has an entire series devoted to this type of stuff...

Edited by - lucid on July 7, 2001 9:02:14 AM

Guest Anonymous Poster
If you have two vectors, say u and v, that are not parallel, then they can determine a plane. For example, think of u=(1,0,0) and v=(0,1,0). Linear combinations of these 2 vectors generate the XY plane. The cross product of these 2 vectors is a vector that is perpendicular to the plane. You can determine its direction using the right hand rule.

Using i,j,k notation (where i=(1,0,0),j=(0,1,0) and k=(0,0,1)) the exact formula is:

if u=ai+bj+ck and v=di+ej+fk then

u x v = determinant( i j k
a b c
d e f)

= (bf-ce)i-(af-cd)j+(ae-bd)k

Thanks pal! Say, is Vectors used more in 2D or 3D games? Thanks!!!!! :-D

"The feeling of mastering and understanding hard stuff in Game Programming is just like the feeling u get when u perform an Air-Walk in the basketball court, soaring.....and everyone''s watching in awe......."

Hey,

Vectors are used *more* in 3D games, but they can surely be used in 2D games as well.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.

• Advertisement