Another composition contest?

Started by
36 comments, last by nsmadsen 14 years, 7 months ago
Composers- I'm considering putting together another composition contest. The last one featured about 20 submissions for a 2 minute long computer animation short. I have three industry pro judges and a prize lined up (the winner could pick between various books on music composition, production and other audio nerd stuff). I'd also not attempt a "live" conversation where all involved get feedback on their pieces. That was just a logistical nightmare. Instead, I'll email you the feedback. My question to all of you is- would you be interested? If there is enough interest, I'll talk to the powers that be and get something rolling for all of you. The second time around, I'd like to use different industry judges to get as much exposure to all involved as possible. Maybe even more prizes... but that's something I'll have to look into. Anyways, respond if you're interested! Thanks, Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement
Hey Nathan - fantastic!

I am interested. You may have thought of this already but may I suggest some theme could really be open to many different genres? Anything from orchestral , electronica, to industrial rock?

But yeah, props to you for constantly giving to the community :)
Yes, I'd like to make it open ended to allow as much creativity as possible! Glad you're interested!

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Nathan, this sounds great. I'm definitely interested.
Matthew Chastney - Composer & Sound Designer
I haven't posted much here since I've been busy building my portfolio now that I graduated from college. (Woot, got my masters in Jazz Performance).

I would defiantly submit an entry to this.
Quote:Original post by MattGags
Woot, got my masters in Jazz Performance.

Sweet! Where from and on what instrument(s)?

I'm a jazz pianist and saxophonist.

I'm getting several folks interested on various websites! Great! I'm about to move my wife up Denver with me since she just graduated. So give me a bit.

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Quote:Original post by nsmadsen

Sweet! Where from and on what instrument(s)?

I'm a jazz pianist and saxophonist.

I'm getting several folks interested on various websites! Great! I'm about to move my wife up Denver with me since she just graduated. So give me a bit.

University of Miami. Trumpet is my main instrument (12 years) and have played piano for 6.
Here's my suggestion, and maybe it's too boring or straight for a contest, but freelance composers in this industry often have to do speculative demos for games that can barely be described-or are in their developmentally infantile stages.

I suggest having people create speculative demos formatted like a typical industry spec demo. (Maybe even have something like create a 60 second theme, 90 second ambient track, and a 60 second battle track--or keep it light with just a theme track, etc, etc)

Give people the option to select one of three different game-types (each with a short description giving specific key words which should be influential on the track development).

The panel of judges would determine which demo(s) most closely reflect the descriptions.

(and the descriptions should be as written by a producer containing either no musical suggestions, or if with musical suggestions, have them misleading or misinformed)
- [email=dan@musicianeer.com]Dan Reynolds[/email] (Composer|Music Implementer)
www.musicianeer.com
I am interested.
Hi Nathan,

I am interested and would love to hear details.

Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement