Games != money

Started by
23 comments, last by SnpProgrmr 24 years, 4 months ago
Ok im 15 and i have what it takes to make a good game. You people forget that programming games isnt just for older people, its all about vision now what some younger programmers lack is vision. What i mean by this is most people just think about making a game, not marketing, or proposing it to publishers. Anyway i dont feel like getting into a lecture. it takes vision not age, age has nothing to do with it. "VISION.
(oh, boy i feel this will spark a new fire)
Advertisement
I'm not going to flame you, but I would like to see some of your work.
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

I would also be very interested in seeing your work. Someone who is a sure of himself as you are would have a website or something tracking what he's done. Do you? I'm sure you do.

-Erik L. Elmore

-Erik L. Elmore
I don't understand why people think that games will make them a lot of money.

It's a very competitive business where the developer's get a very small amount of money. And that's if it ever gets distributed.
Learning how to make the game and keeping up with the new hardware isn't easy either.
On top of all that, organizing a group and making sure the game is good enough to sell is a pain.

Why do so many people expect boundless riches from this industry?

Personally, I program games because I have a passion for this stuff and to prepare for an engineering career.

Maudib,

Vision is wonderful. Without you most certainly will not have a game that sells hundreds of thousands. Along with vision it takes backing, business sense, industry contacts, project management, financial management, employee management, and design brains to produce a final result. This occurs long before the game is even marketed, physically produced, or sold. It occurs long before the game is supported or the first patches released are complete. What I think the reference to 14yr olds was trying to get across is that most young people do not have the focus to follow through on a game that can make them money because it is truly an overwhelming task in light of all that is necessary to complete it. I know I didn't when I was that old. Over time I have acquired the knowledge necessary to produce a company and that came with failing a business and going to business school. Maybe the stereotype is placed wrongly. Maybe it isn't because stereotypes come from somewhere and don't spring from nowhere. If we have offended you as it seems we have then I am sure I speak for all in saying it wasn't intentional. All it was trying to express was that getting the experience necessary is something that takes time and dedication of which only the latter seems to be with you at the moment. In time that dedication will pay off, trust me and stick to it.

Oh please show us your work. I am interested in seeing it.

Kressilac

[This message has been edited by kressilac (edited December 06, 1999).]

Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement