• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Anddos

picking and blood on mesh

This topic is 3370 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok so i am making my first fps type game and when the picking ray goes over the mesh , it intersects but how do you go about drawing blood on the faces of the mesh ,i am totally clueless how to do this part

Advertisement
This is commonly known as a decal (so you can search for decal rendering techniques). I haven't done decals myself, but here's a forum post that seems to be doing the same thing you want. Here's a "local" article on it, albeit for terrain.

do you know any tutorials with directx using decals , the above article wasnt detailed enough using directx functions

A simpler approach would be to create multiple textures for your mesh. One that is clean, one with blood. Then when you need to, just swap the texture used by the mesh.

I don't really know anything about DirectX. There are a few relevant thread showing up on the forum search though.

A simpler approach would be to create multiple textures for your mesh. One that is clean, one with blood. Then when you need to, just swap the texture used by the mesh.

that would not work for small bullet shots where the player bleeds only at 1 point on the mesh if only shot in that area, that would mean creating many meshs each one with blood points on each one , very tiresome idea

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!