picking and blood on mesh

Started by
4 comments, last by Anddos 14 years, 11 months ago
ok so i am making my first fps type game and when the picking ray goes over the mesh , it intersects but how do you go about drawing blood on the faces of the mesh ,i am totally clueless how to do this part
:)
Advertisement
This is commonly known as a decal (so you can search for decal rendering techniques). I haven't done decals myself, but here's a forum post that seems to be doing the same thing you want. Here's a "local" article on it, albeit for terrain.
do you know any tutorials with directx using decals , the above article wasnt detailed enough using directx functions
A simpler approach would be to create multiple textures for your mesh. One that is clean, one with blood. Then when you need to, just swap the texture used by the mesh.
I don't really know anything about DirectX. There are a few relevant thread showing up on the forum search though.
A simpler approach would be to create multiple textures for your mesh. One that is clean, one with blood. Then when you need to, just swap the texture used by the mesh.

that would not work for small bullet shots where the player bleeds only at 1 point on the mesh if only shot in that area, that would mean creating many meshs each one with blood points on each one , very tiresome idea

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement