Sign in to follow this  
Destriarch

Recommend me a fast language for vectors!

I'm thinking of putting together a simple game and, since my artistic skills are nil and I'm having little luck finding artistic assistance, I'm thinking I might try minimalist vector graphics in a similar style to, say, Geo Defence or Warning Forever. In other words, all graphics are made up of filled outlines, preferably with glowing outlines and motion blur effects available for certain particles. Now, I should probably be able to handle programming a graphical engine to do most of this, so what I want to know is: 1) Which languages handle the drawing of vectors fastest? 2) Which languages provide the best anti-aliasing? 3) Are there any that provide blur and bloom effects native? 4) Are there any that provide animation and collision detection? I want to make my game full-screen so I'm steering clear of Flash which has always struck me as being pretty inefficient at higher resolutions. Can anyone make any recommendations? I prefer free languages, but I don't mind paying a small amount if it does what I want it to. I'm just off to see if I can find out what Warning Forever was written in, but I have a sneaking suspicion it might be something like Assembler which I really can't stomach! -Ash

Seems like you want an engine like 'World of Goo' uses. It does all of that stuff.
You could try using GDI+ for such a thing, as it does do anti-aliasing, but you'll probably find that it wont do curves or something like that etc. You might need to write your own graphics engine for it which is a very big task.

GDI+, thankyou! I'll look into that. I'm surprised it doesn't do curves though, World of Goo is practically 100% curves. Anyway it wouldn't present a problem. The mathematics for producing spline curves is easy enough to implement, and has the added advantage that I can program in an option for adjusting curve complexity for people with slower computers.

Anyway, thanks again, I will take a look at that one. Does anybody else have any suggestions? All are welcome.

-Ash

Thanks everyone. I'm currently looking at possibly using a simple vector drawing engine, coupled with heavy use of gaussian blur to create the 'glow' effect. I've never done a program involving heavy post-processing of the output image before so I hope I can get it running fast enough to be worthwhile!

Any further hits and tips would be welcome.

-Ash

Quote:
Original post by Destriarch
Thanks everyone. I'm currently looking at possibly using a simple vector drawing engine, coupled with heavy use of gaussian blur to create the 'glow' effect. I've never done a program involving heavy post-processing of the output image before so I hope I can get it running fast enough to be worthwhile!

Any further hits and tips would be welcome.

-Ash

Doing post-processing on GDI+ is suicide, remember that GDI+ is NOT hardware accelerated. If you need heavy post-processing I suggest switching to DirectX.

[Edited by - feal87 on May 31, 2009 6:22:56 AM]