Window Client Area Redraw Issue

Started by
3 comments, last by mmakrzem 14 years, 10 months ago
Hi. I am very out of pactice in my C++ and have even forgotten how to make a window correctly! I am having an issue where the window displays but the client area never updates. it is a snapshot of whatever was under the window when it was displayed. How do I make the window client area display as the standard grey as I am expecting? I have pieced this together from examples on MSDN. (Some of which appear to not give all the info you need) Here is my code :

#include <windows.h>

LRESULT CALLBACK WindowProc(HWND hwnd, UINT uMsg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{
	switch (uMsg)
	{			
	case WM_DESTROY:
         PostQuitMessage( 0 );
         break;

default :  return DefWindowProc(hwnd, uMsg, wParam, lParam);
	}
}

int WINAPI winmain(HINSTANCE hInst, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, INT nCmdShow)
{
    // Register the window class.
    WNDCLASSEX wc = { sizeof(WNDCLASSEX), CS_CLASSDC, WindowProc, 0L, 0L, 
	GetModuleHandle(NULL), NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL,
	"test", NULL };

RegisterClassEx( &wc );

// Create the application's window.
	HWND hWnd = CreateWindowEx(0, "test", "test2", 
	WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW | WS_HSCROLL | WS_VSCROLL, 100, 100, 300, 300,
	(HWND) NULL, (HMENU) NULL, wc.hInstance, NULL );  

if (!hWnd) 
      return FALSE; 

ShowWindow(hWnd, SW_SHOWDEFAULT); 
    UpdateWindow(hWnd); 

MSG msg;
	BOOL fGotMessage;
    while ((fGotMessage = GetMessage(&msg, (HWND) NULL, 0, 0)) != 0 && fGotMessage != -1) 
    { 
        TranslateMessage(&msg); 
        DispatchMessage(&msg); 
    } 

return TRUE;
};

Any help appreciated. [Edited by - peter_mayes on May 30, 2009 2:34:40 AM]
Advertisement
I'm not a WinAPI expert, but is it perhaps because you're not handling WM_PAINT messages?
You need to either handle WM_PAINT as jyk mentioned or you need to initialize the hbrBackground member of your WNDCLASSEX instead of just slamming in NULL for everything.

Minor: you question has 100% absolutely nothing to do with C++.
-Mike
Thankyou.

Yes I needed the hbrBackground member filled in.

I think where I went wrong is I was looking at a DirectX example that doesn't bother filling it in as it renders straight to the cliant area in that sample (eventually).

Also :

"Minor: you question has 100% absolutely nothing to do with C++."

Except for the fact that my code sample is written in C++ and the syntax MAY have been wrong somewhere. :D (which wasn't the case here but it could have been)

If you get stuck with the basics of creating a window AND you are using Visual C++ Express, start a new windowed project and you'll see all the code you need to create a sample window.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement