Sign in to follow this  
iammfa

indieLib or SDL

Hi, all i Intend develop small 2d tilset video games like mario, tetris ..etc and i want use free 2d engine to develop these games, i heard a lot about indielib and sdl libraries and i got general impression that indilib is more quality than sdl .. but i didn't try both, so i started with this topic because i hope someone guide me to right and legal way, so i have some questions: - which one i start with as beginner developer indielib or sdl library? - can i use each for commercial games without pay things? - sure, i will use c++ for compiling, i have c++ 2008 express edition, is this edition enough and legal to develop commercial games? (IMPORTANT QUESTION) i hope guide me regards MFA

I never heard of indielib but from google search I found that is some kind of 2d engine.
Anyway I used SDL a lot, and I like it, but who cares? At the end you will wrap it in higher code. IMHO multi-render is the best, make your interface so you would be able to change the rendering/drawing engine/library without touching the games code. And start with something, IMHO better to start with SDL because I hate engines and prefer to wrap everything my self, but that my opinion + I never used/heard of IndieLib.

Quote:

- which one i start with as beginner developer indielib or sdl library?

Read above

Quote:

- can i use each for commercial games without pay things?

SDL I think you can, check the licenses on their sites.

Quote:

- sure, i will use c++ for compiling, i have c++ 2008 express edition, is this edition enough and legal to develop commercial games? (IMPORTANT QUESTION)

Express is the free one? Afaik the free Visual Studio is intended for student who can not afford buying the full version so again read the license to see what you can/can not do with express version.