Multithreaded Compilation / MSVS

Started by
3 comments, last by beebs1 14 years, 10 months ago
Hiya, I remember a while back Microsoft introduced a 'multithreaded compilation' switch for the C++ compiler in VS. It would let you compile several source files in parallel. It doesn't seem to be available under the project settings, and my searches keep bringing up tutorials on multithreaded programming... Does anyone remember what the switch is or VS2009? My compilation times are hitting 15 minutes or more... :( Cheers, James
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by beebs1
Hiya,

I remember a while back Microsoft introduced a 'multithreaded compilation' switch for the C++ compiler in VS. It would let you compile several source files in parallel.

It doesn't seem to be available under the project settings, and my searches keep bringing up tutorials on multithreaded programming...

Does anyone remember what the switch is or VS2009? My compilation times are hitting 15 minutes or more... :(

Cheers,
James

From what i remember the "multithread" functionality is just a parallel build of multiple projects in the same solution (if they have no dependency relation). It does not need any configuration, it is enabled by default for any multicore machine.
Anyway 15 minutes is really a lot, what are you compiling?
Multithreaded building of c/cpp files in one project was officially introduced in VS2008, although it also works in VS2005 (also in Express editions).

You should simply add /MP switch to custom C++ compilation options.
Multithreaded I don't know, but there is a switch to make Visual Studio compile source files in multiple processes. The /MP switch. Add that into the Advanced section for compilation and see if that does the trick. There are some other compilation flags that aren't compatible with this one, but I use this for all my builds and it really speeds things up for the big ones.

More info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb385193.aspx
Many thanks, /MP is the one.

Appreciate the help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement