Simple image file format

Started by
2 comments, last by shirsoft 14 years, 10 months ago
Hi guys, I keep running into problems when working with images with more than 8 bit channels, like float textures. I was thinking of simple file format which contains the following: width, height, num channels, data_type=8,16,32 int, float, double, Raw Data Would it be useful, or are there any better free alternatives available.
The longest battle is the battle within
Advertisement
have you looked at the targa (.tga) format? It's very simple to understand / use, although I don't think It handles floats or doubles but you would have the benefit of not having to right a converter/exporter
What kind of problems are you encountering, exactly? Why do you think introducing a new file format will solve those problems? What format is the data in that's giving you trouble?

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Well I have been dealing with some floating point textures generated in glsl and obviously my code had some bugs in it. I can export the data back but its difficult to visualize since I wasnt using any image library like free image. I then ended up export this float file to disk with the width and height and wrote a program in C# to scale the values from 0 to 255 for display purposes. That did give me some insight. I then thought extending it to other datatypes which are bigger than byte could be useful.
The longest battle is the battle within

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement