Need Some Guidance

Started by
13 comments, last by jpetrie 14 years, 10 months ago
Um guys, i'm a beginner and i have study C++ about 2 weeks now, and i understand the basic (pointers,loops,array,classes,variable) but let's say a few weeks i understand C++, what books would you recommend me if i want to make games using C++ ? (i'm using visual studios 2008)
Advertisement
Hi goldenKnight

in my opinion, 2 weeks might not be enough to start thinking about studying game programming oriented C++.

i recommend (and guarantee maybe ;) ) that if you follow the following reading order, you'll be very comfortable with c++ when you start learning game programming in c++:

1st: C++ Primer 5th edition (read it from cover to cover -like me :p- and try not to miss any of the exercises and make sure you understand everything you read)

next: Beginning C ++ Through Game Programming, 2nd Ed (read it carefully to get familiar with games related c++ topics and how the things you studied in the c++ primer can be used in game programming. here you can skip some of the topics that you're 100% sure that you fully understand)

if you try so, I guarantee you will master c++ as a language for game programming ;)

don't you think so guys?
Quote:
if you try so, I guarantee you will master c++ as a language for game programming ;)

don't you think so guys?

No.

Quote:
Um guys, i'm a beginner and i have study C++ about 2 weeks now, and i understand the basic (pointers,loops,array,classes,variable) but let's say a few weeks i understand C++, what books would you recommend me if i want to make games using C++ ? (i'm using visual studios 2008)

Depends. If you don't want to spend much (any) money, you can look up Thinking and C++ and C++ A Dialog, which are both free online books that are generally pretty decent.

If you have a passing familiarity with the language, however, you're going to want to start practicing with it. That will likely accelerate your learning process far more than books alone will. If you really know what you claim you know, then you should be more than capable of building some simple text-based games -- guess-the-number, hangman, tic-tac-toe. Give those a shot and see how that works out for you. If are able to do them easily enough, you can think about how you might add additional features or options to them, or continue on to something more complex like one of those old Infocom-style text adventure games.
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
Depends. If you don't want to spend much (any) money, you can look up Thinking and C++ and C++ A Dialog, which are both free online books that are generally pretty decent.

You obviously meant Thinking in C++. Going by how helpful Thinking in Java was, I can only recommend this author.

Er, yes. Thinking in C++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement