Sign in to follow this  
Cadoink

Visual C++ Express Debugging

Hey. I decided I wanted to get back into C++ Programming. I have Visual C++ Express Edition 2008. I had a few programs that worked very well. Now when I try to debug and run my programs they don't work. I haven't done anything to the code since they worked perfectly. I can get them to work a little. For example I have a program that can convert feet to inches etc. When I try the measurement it needs to convert the program just quits without giving me my answer. It has never done this before. I also see this at the Output thing at the bottom of Visual C++ 'Super Calculator.exe': Loaded 'C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Hello World\Debug\Super Calculator.exe', Symbols loaded. 'Super Calculator.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll' 'Super Calculator.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll' 'Super Calculator.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.vc90.debugcrt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.21022.8_none_96748342450f6aa2\msvcr90d.dll' 'Super Calculator.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.vc90.debugcrt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.21022.8_none_96748342450f6aa2\msvcp90d.dll' The program '[5400] Super Calculator.exe: Native' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

When it says your program has exited with code 0. It means that your program ran succesfully but exited before you could see anything. Add a bit that takes user input so that you have to press return before it will exit so that you can actually see the result.

I wondered this. But you see before it would always give the results and just stay there without quitting.

Since I haven't touched the code there must be something going on.

I have this vague memory that there are 2 ways to debug and compile, and one keeps the program going.

Any thoughts?

Quote:
Original post by Cadoink
Ok. I see. I use to press ctrl - F5 to compile.

is there any piece of code that can be typed to do end a program.

For example if end is type the program will end.

You could use cin to get input from the user but this seems a little excessive. If you use Ctrl+F5 you'll keep the output window open. If you want to debug the program, add some break points into your code and run it with the debugger. When you hit a breakpoint the program will pause allowing you to see the output window and all the variables in memory.