Sign in to follow this  
FlaiseSaffron

[java] Java console on Vista

I am writing an applet that doesn't agree with Vista. I suspect it's printing a stack trace that would tell me exactly what is wrong, but without having Vista myself I can neither see the stack trace myself nor give helpful instructions to a tester as to how to find said stack trace. So tell me, how does a Vista user open the Java console?

Same way as all other Windows versions, right click the task tray icon and select 'Open Console'. If that doesn't work, go to the Java control panel applet and change the console option to 'Open' (its under the advanced tab).

I do the following:

1. From the command line, type the following:

C:\>javaws -viewer

This brings up the Java Cache Viewer, which can be used for clearing out web start applications. It is a good command to know, and it also brings up the Java Control Panel.

2. Close the "Java Cache Viewer" window, and there should still be an open Java Control panel...

3. Click the "Advanced" tab, and then expand the Java Console list item. If you select "Show console" the Java console will launch every time you run a Java app, which is what you want. When it starts driving you nuts, you can turn it back off.

Hope that helps!

[Edited by - Glass_Knife on June 1, 2009 10:46:29 AM]