Sign in to follow this  
Storyyeller

getting data from a webpage?

I am trying to make a program so that whenever I visit a certain webpage, it will grab information off it and store it in a log file on my computer along with the time accessed. The problem is I have no idea where to start. I've made some simple games in C++ with SDL, but I imagine that that isn't really applicable here. Do I need to learn another language? What is the best way to approach this? Is this even a realistic goal, or am I way out of my league? By the way, the browser I use is Google Chrome, but I guess I can change if it is really important.

My guess would be the easiest way is to write a plugin or extension. I don't know how well supported they are in Chrome, or what functionality you can achieve, but you could start by taking a look at these tutorials.

Anddos makes a valid point if your requirement of 'whenever I visit a certain webpage' is not really a strict requirement. If it isn't, writing a 'screen-scraper' can be pretty simple -- I believe Python and Ruby have libraries available. Just need to create a buffer, create a connection, grab the data, and parse what you want (typically with regex).

But if you want this action to occur based on what you do with your browser, creating an extension would probably be a lot easier than trying to hook into the browser with an external application via some other method.

Perhaps more interestingly is that you want the logging done whenever you visit the webpage in your webbrowser. Does it have to be tied to your browser visit? Or is it just that you want the data collected periodically. That is, you would be perfectly happy to have that data without having to see the page in your browser.

(Edit: Late in posting eh, everyone covered the point.)