Java

Started by
6 comments, last by Sw1ftN1nja 14 years, 10 months ago
Hello all, My name is Pete and this is my first post here on GameDev.net forums ! The community here seems to be very helpful so I hope that I will have some luck here, seeing as how I will be posting very "newbalicious" questions and comments. So here goes nothing. I already know which programming language I would like to start with and this is Java, because I already know some basic Java already. So, that is obviously not my question, rather how should I start? By this I mean should I start out by first learning to program in Java or a Java applet, I do know basics of both Java and a Java Applet, but it seems that there is a difference, although I could be wrong. I currently know how to make a ball bounce from one part of the screen back to the other and with a click it will change direction and speed. This is in a Java applet though, so I assume that it will not work with regular Java. Any help on this topic would be great and I would greatly appreciate it. -Sw1ftN1nja
One second i'm here and the next Im here
Advertisement
The differences between a regular java app and an applet are pretty minor, so I wouldn't worry about it. An applet is really just a regular java app with a display created automatically for you, and it's trivial to write a couple of lines of code to make an applet into an app (example).
Hey, thanks a lot for this, now I can get started on some more tutorials ! Can you or someone else suggest some? I was looking at the ones on this site, but some seem to be outdated.
Thank you for all the help,
-Sw1ftN1nja
It's difficult to recommend anything without knowing what you already know and what exactly you're looking to learn. For general java tutorials the one on Sun's website are pretty good.

Another good starter tutorial is Space Invaders 101 (and also the 102, 103, 104 links top-right).
Here's a good place to start increasing your knowledge. After that, read up on the new features in Java 1.5, because that edition had many new and useful additions to how the language works (generics, enhanced for-loop, autoboxing, enum types just to name a few) and the free TIJ book does not cover those.

For the gaming side, for an easy start just grab a library like Slick2D (or you can go straight to LWJGL if you want low level, but be warned that it is really low level). There are also a number of 3D engines for Java (jME, Ardor3D, Aviatrix3D, some others). Other libraries that you may find useful include jBullet, BeanShell, and jOrbis.

If you are not already using a Java IDE, I highly recommend either Eclipse or NetBeans.
One main difference of Java and an applet is performance. For a lot of 2d stuff, it isnt a problem, but I think when you get more complex, it starts to take affect. I looked up a thread i posted a while ago on jme forums, basically the JRE for applets is set around 96mb limit, and to have users configure that wouldnt be a practical option. Here's the thread incase you are interested. http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=6851.msg54574#msg54574
Quote:Original post by agm_ultimatex
One main difference of Java and an applet is performance. For a lot of 2d stuff, it isnt a problem, but I think when you get more complex, it starts to take affect. I looked up a thread i posted a while ago on jme forums, basically the JRE for applets is set around 96mb limit, and to have users configure that wouldnt be a practical option. Here's the thread incase you are interested. http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=6851.msg54574#msg54574

The performance is nearly the same and there is no limit in memory anymore (you can set it as in a normal java webstart application).
Hey everyone,
Thanks for all of the quick replies and I will be sure to check out the article and tutorials you gave me. If I have any further questions, I will be sure to post them, thanks again,
-Sw1ftN1nja

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement