Sign in to follow this  
ryt

Is there some calculus book with solved exercises?

I used this in university. The handbook that you can buy has tons of worked examples. Very clear and easy to follow. I would highly recommend it for learning calculus.

I also used the Stewart books for my calculus sequence. The exercises are generally very thoughtful and varied; they range from basic calculations that would be accessible to almost all students to detailed arguments that would be beyond most calculus students*, so you should always be able to find exercises that suit your level of understanding and skill.

Like most textbooks, each section has examples with full solutions and then a catalogue of exercises. There's a separate handbook that you can purchase that contains full solutions to the exercises. I personally didn't get this, but a few of the other people who took the sequence with me did, and I glanced at their copies from time to time; from what I saw, the solutions were detailed and included full proofs for those exercises that demanded them.

The biggest downside to this would be the price. Being widely-used textbooks, the Stewart books are going to be unreasonably expensive. Try to get used copies.

Another option would be to look at some books for AP calculus. These tend to be heavily targeted towards people doing self-studying. I used this particular one. Of course, it also includes some sample AP tests at the back, which may or may not be helpful to you.

The explanations in Stewart are both more complete and rigorous than those in the AP book. But they're also harder. Further, Stewart covers vector calculus, and AP books in general won't because it's not on the AP exam. Finally, the exercises in any AP book will never be much harder than the questions on the AP exams, so if you are particularly good at math such books may leave you wanting a bit more interesting proof-based exercises.

It might be worth knowing that most of Stewart's applications are to physics and engineering. This particularly bothered one of my peers, who wants to go into the social sciences and was disappointed that almost no applications to such areas were discussed.

* This isn't just something I'm saying. Some of the harder exercises were given as homework in my classes and the majority of people could not solve them.

Quote:
Original post by nilkn
The biggest downside to this would be the price. Being widely-used textbooks, the Stewart books are going to be unreasonably expensive. Try to get used copies.
Ah, but that cuts both ways. Being widely-used textbooks, the Steward book is constantly coming out in new editions to net the publisher more €€€, flooding the used-book market with more previous edition copies than it can handle... which is great if you want it for self-guided learning rather than a college course. Used fourth-editions are going for around $3 on Amazon.

Thx very much for your answers, I think I'll find somethig, either Stewart books or this one for AP.
BTW what's AP? I'm not a US cittizen, I'm from Croatia, so I have never heard of it because I think we dont have such thing.

Quote:
Original post by ryt
Thx very much for your answers, I think I'll find somethig, either Stewart books or this one for AP.
BTW what's AP? I'm not a US cittizen, I'm from Croatia, so I have never heard of it because I think we dont have such thing.

AP stands for Advanced Placement. They are exams in various subjects including calculus that high school students can take to get credit and not have to take the courses in college and thus graduate earlier or take a lesser class load.
See here for examples.