Blender 2.49 Projection painting without UV unwrap?

Started by
3 comments, last by LorenzoGatti 14 years, 9 months ago
Hey everyone. I am fairly new to Blender and I was reading about how Blender version 2.49 supports projection texture painting without the need for Seams or for UV unwrap but I can not seem to make this work. Is there some trick to this? I make a new blender project and I go to "Texture Paint" mode but when I try to draw with a brush nothing happens. Project paint is selected so I am not sure what I need to do. If I do a UV unwrap and make a new image it works, but is this really necessary? If there was a way to skip UV unwrapping all together that would be great. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement
You still need to unwrap your model, quote from www.blender.org:

"...Projection painting works on a UV-mapped texture. Thus, you need a non-overlapping set of UV coordinates as well as an image to paint to. .."

I think that the old texture paint works like this: Determine one pixel on the texture your mouse cursor is pointing at and paint your brush onto the texture at the given position.This approach results in problem when handling seems, because the point on the texture is only on one side of the a seem.

The new approach seems to apply each pixel "individually" resulting in painting both seem-sides at once.

--
Ashaman
Ah ok, thanks for your help.
Hi,

maybe you can't do projection mapping without to unwrap UVs first, but you can do the unwrapping process easyly and faster by using smart projections or lightmap unwrapping in a matter of seconds. Then, you can paint over the model in the viewport
Without UV unwrapping there can be no textures.
Projection texture painting projects what's painted on the usual UV-mapped textures; it's only a new tool that competes with painting the unwrapped textures, and the prerequisite task of defining seams and texture coordinates remains the same.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement