Procedural terrain texturing

Started by
3 comments, last by Hiyar 14 years, 10 months ago
I'm using low frequency textures for distant terrain parts in order to remove the tiling artifacts. And do texturing mostly based on procedural parameters(height, slope etc). But I think this is not enough to give variation. Because it is just lowfrequency texture. I'm wondering if there are more procedural techniuqes to create more variation for distant terrain texturing.
Advertisement
Say your heightfunctions are in the form h=f(x,y), then you could add perturbation: h=f(u(x), v(y)), with u and v being your perturbation functions.

If you are interested, I have posted a complete reference of intrinsics supported by picogen 0.2: examples, reference. It is out of date as I am rewritting picogen from scratch at the moment. See my signature for picogen.
Okay thanks,

I need more ideas for procedural texturing. I need to do this in the shader by using height, slope and terrain normal.
Well I was using height, slope and curvature for texturing but of course it was not enough. I reckon that considering only the elevation data alone will not be sufficient ever.
Now I'm computing two other independent fractal channels in parallel with the height data, that are used for the texturing and other things like horizontal displacement.

Those screens do not show the final look though - currently there are just 4 textures mixed and only the slope, curvature and the two fractal values are used for it.
But I'm going to use additional data roughly describing the ecotype (containing several materials) that are then combined and selected using the fractal mixer.
Looks good, I will look into fractal noise calculation, thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement