Sign in to follow this  
Endar

Multiple materials per mesh?

I'm in the middle of writing two classes, Mesh and Model. A Mesh will consist of geometry, and a Model will have 1 or more meshes. I haven't gotten around to starting the Model class yet, but I'm thinking about a Material class (simply a structure that consists of diffuse, ambient, specular, etc) and I'm wondering if I need to go that far. Also, if I do, should my Mesh have just a single material, or should the material be with the Model and not the Mesh?

Depends on your situation I guess. Are you using shaders? Are you using deferred rendering?

I think it would not be bad to separate the Material from Model and Mesh. I would guess you want a material per mesh instead of per model. eg a character with a sword will want different material parameters for the sword as for the skin.

So it depends :) Tell us more about the use?

In my game engine I have sparated everything out, that way I can re-use memory if two models use the same material. I don't need to have the same data saved twice. Each "Shape" object can contain one "Mesh", one "Material" and one "Texture". A 3D model will be made up of multiple "Shape" objects.

When I go and render, I send thing down the pipes by material and texture to minimize on swapping parameters in the video card.

i would suggest that you make material the "parameters" to a shader exclusive of "texture". Also it is highly likely you need more than one texture per mesh so i would suggest a "sampler params" type of construct that pairs with a material.

this then allows you to sort/optimize using consistent blocks and those blocks are themselves self contained elements.